A Gray celebration

Lex

We walked out of the church and made our way to the hall. Sitting in the back of the car, I looked at Piper as she smiled back at me.

"What?" Piper asked as I admired her.

"I love you so much," I told her as she smiled even more prominent.

"I love you to the moon and back," she remarked as I leaned over and kissed her. I am having Piper as my wife was the best thing ever to me.

We pulled up to the reception hall and got out of the car. Walking into the building, someone announced, "Give it up for Lex and Piper Gray!"

People cheered and clapped as we raised our hands with one hand interlink with the other. Lowering our hands, we made our way around to everyone. It's the best day ever.

Uncle Jonas, Uncle Cayson, and Grampa are standing next to Grammy.

"Now that is the best sight ever," Grammy commented to them as they watched us make our rounds, greeting people.

"Don't tell me you're getting soft on us, Ma?" Cayson asked her.

"Never, but everything turned out for you, boys," she smiled as they all looked at her. "When I met your father, things weren't always perfect between us, but he gave me, you three."

They looked at each other, then back Grammy.

"We also hope that when we have children, they find someone that makes them happy and loves them as much as we do. Your father gave me an amazing life and family, even if I am a bit bat shit crazy," she smirked as they laughed.

"Oh, Lucille, you're not bat shit crazy. If people listened to you, they would realize you see people for who they truly are, imperfect. They need help," Nana told her as Grammy smiled.

"Therefore, I knew you would be good for Nathaniel," she winked.

"I think we all found that one person who is perfectly imperfect for us," Jonas commented, looking at Karen, who smiled back at him.

"Or who can handle even the most difficult Gray," Dominique replies as she looked at Cayson.

Dad and Ma walked over to them with my uncles and aunts.

"Well, Nashville, you did good," Grammy complimented him.

"I had a lot of help," Dad said back to her as he looked at his brothers, my grandparents, and Ma. "I didn't think I could love anyone more than I do with all of them," he commented as he looked at my sisters and me. He looked at Ma. "Besides you, Mags, thank you for giving me our kids." He leaned over and kissed her.

I stopped and looked at all of them. It was funny to see how it all started. It started with two people, one serious and one bat shit crazy to create all this. Now, I get it.

When push comes to shove, a family is everything - family matters in every way. Because of my family, I knew when we had our own; I had people to turn to for help.

We sat down at the head table so that we could eat. Before they served the food, the maid of honor and best man had to give their speeches followed by Dad.

"Hello, everyone! I'm Lyric Harper, matron of honor and sister to this tool, sitting here," she pointed at me. I rolled my eyes. "I'm also Piper's best friend. Growing up next door to each other, I got to not only have her as my best friend but also now I get to have her as a sister. I'm glad she married our brother because he needs someone that can give him a swift kick in the ass, and if they don't, he still won't get his butt in gear. To Lex and Piper," Lyric toasted us.

Everyone toasted us as Kain stood up and took the microphone. Here we go.

"I need not tell everyone why we're all here because well, this twit finally got his act together." Everyone laughed. "On top of it, he knocks up his fiancé because he didn't remember what a freaking raincoat was," he remarked as everyone laughed more. He turned to me. "But, in all honesty, all of us are happy to have you back. We're here together to celebrate your wedding to Piper. Congrats brother from another mother," Kain toasted as everyone toasted us.

I chuckled as he hugged me before taking his seat. Next, it was Dad's turn.

"Lex, I gave a speech at your sister's weddings, and now it's your turn. You had been through a lot, and we all waited for you to come back to us. Even if you didn't come back to us, it wouldn't matter because you survived. Tonight isn't just a celebration of a wedding but a celebration that you're here with all of us. It thrills your ma and me to welcome Piper into our family, and we can't wait to meet our grandchildren. Congrats, son, we all love you and Piper," he toasted as everyone joined in with the toast.

Nixon said grace before dinner, then we all ate. We all talked as we enjoyed our food. Sitting here with my family was the best feeling ever. Once dinner finished, Piper and I took to the dance floor. We picked a song we felt was fitting for us.

We danced to Satellite by Nickelback. If you listen to the lyrics, it fits Piper and I. No matter what, our hearts never let go of each other. Everyone watched as we shared our first dance as husband and wife. I couldn't stop looking at her as we danced. I twirled her around as people waited for us.

It was a moment between the two of us. After everything we had been through, we finally made it. As we danced, the bridal party joined us. They danced alongside us. Then our parents joined us as did my grandparents.

Three generations of Grays were sharing the dance floor. You couldn't ask for a better moment than that except for one.

Once we finished our dance, Grampa escorted Grammy onto the floor and started dancing with her, next was Uncle Jonas, followed by Uncle Cayson. Since she couldn't dance with Granddad, they decided they were the next best thing.

Next, my dad and uncles took turns dancing with Nana. I watched as each of them danced with her individually. There was something about a mother-son bond you could never explain. The one thing I knew for a fact was how my dad and uncles felt about my Nana; they loved her unconditionally.

Finally, I walked over and held out my hand for my ma. She placed her hand in mine and smiled as I led her to the dance floor. The two of us danced together. It was our moment.

"I wanted to tell you something," I said to her. She looked at me. "I know all of this has been difficult on you, especially what you went through, but there was never once that I didn't love you."

She looked at me a bit surprised.

"You're my ma. Even if I wouldn't have remembered, my heart never forgot you of all people," I reasoned as Ma pulled me close to her.

"Lex, no matter what, I will always love you, kids," she whispered in my ear.

I pulled back and looked at her. "And I know why dad did what he did to you."

She looked at me, confused.

"The reason he made you insecure. He was insecure himself and was afraid he would lose you because he loved you deeply. He fell in love with you before you fell in love with him just like Grampa and Nana, then Piper and me," I explained as her jaw dropped open. "When you fall in love with someone, you hope they catch you along with your heart. It makes you do dumb things in hopes you hold on," I grinned as she giggled.

She looked at me. "I know, that's why I never gave up on your father. I knew it scared him. I may not remember a lot, but I do remember what it was like before we got together. I became obsessed with the wrong person who led me to the right person," she smiled.

People can say whatever they want about my parents, but the love they have is one in a million. Things always work out the way with us.

The rest of the night, we danced and celebrated. It was a long time coming. As Piper and I got ready to leave, Dad stopped me, "Lex?"

I looked at Piper as she looked at me. "I think a few more minutes won't hurt." Everyone breathed a sigh of relief. Sometimes a few minutes are enough. Later on, we found out there was an accident that we had missed because of one decision. Sometimes, it's worth a few additional minutes.

We got precious cargo this time, which helps.