8- Home visit

Burnt orange and brown leaves crunched and rustled under my boots as I ran towards the forest, laughing and giggling as I held onto my hat. My ears could hear the crushing sounds behind me only spurring on my excitement. I was almost there, when an arm wrapped around my waist and hoisted me up in the air as I roared with laughter. Squealing when I was spun around. It was only when we felt sick that we stopped. My cheeks hurt from their constant pinned state and my laughter had seized my tummy in all kinds of knots.

Turning in the large arms, I faced the body and was about to tell him, that I loved him. When I heard my name being called......

"Leah? Come on sweetie."

I grumbled gently, sadness seeping into my soul at the end of the dream. A warm hand stroked my cheek soothingly, rousing me from the sleep until it swooped up and rested on my forehead.

"How are you feeling?" Zak's voice pushed making me shake my head slightly.

How the hell did I get here?

"Like shit." I responded making him chuckle gently.

"Thought so, which is why I've made you some breakfast."

"Thank you.."

"Not a problem. Come and find me when you're ready."

I nodded and felt his lips on my forehead. Washing me over with a manly scent before he disappeared and left me to fall back into my sleep.

I woke again, only it felt like a few hours later, to a tongue on my neck and then my ear, thinking it was Zak, I was ready to swat him off me when a heard the unmistakable sound of sniffing and then the whine.

Cracking my eyes open, I came face to face with Gracie. Well, more of nose to nose.

"Why?" I asked as she wagged her tail and looked to my side. Glancing over my shoulder, I found that she was almost salivating over the bacon on my plate.

"Oh, you're only after me for my food huh?" I concluded. She wagged her tail and inched closer making me smile. "Well that's a yes."

Taking the bacon off the plate, I broke it up between my fingers and fed little bits to her. She was just lapping up her chops when I heard Zak.

"Gracie?" He whispered.

"Gracie?"

"She's here." I spoke making him appear sheepish.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

"It's fine. She was sniffing and licking my ear." I replied ruffling her fur.

"She's curious as to who was in daddy's bed."

I smiled at her and ruffled her fur before looking back at Zak. "I fell back to sleep. Sorry."

"I came and checked on you. It's fine, take all the rest you need."

"You must be busy? I should really go. It's not far on you."

He lifted his hand "No, Leah. Trust me when I say you're coming here and if truth were known than I'd tell you that I kinda enjoy being able to have a decent conversation, rather than who's having the last piece of chicken."

"Gracie wins."

"Oh hands down. Every time. I can't say no to her and I think she knows it." He answers.

I looked at him, stood in his own house, in his own bedroom in fact, looking a little out of place. "Come." I patted the bed for him to join me.

He sank down on the bed watching me.