21- Way down, we go.

People always described the colour draining from their face, but nobody ever described the way it pooled at your feet. How you became lightheaded and almost sick. Like you had contracted some type of flu and fever designed to destroy the elements of your body, breaking down its natural defences.

I hated how powerless I instantly became as he sat opposite me, staring at me through his ocean blue eyes. There was anger there, accompanied by confusion, sadness, hope and questions.  I never had to envision how this conversation would go, never imagined I'd be sitting across from him, watching as he holds the photo between his sun-kissed fingers. The same fingers that many years ago had been a source of my pleasure. The same fingers that had caused so much death, all in the sake of name, country and loyalty.

"Give me it." I spoke through my teeth, my voice coming out in a primal growl.

"How could you not tell me?" He asks still keeping it close to him.

"Cody." I warn, my anger jolts up in my body, the blood that was once pooled at my feet begins to rise. I feel it like hot lava crawl through my veins, trying to get back to the epicentre, my heart.

"This is my baby." He speaks his forefinger tracing the outline of its face.

"Give it back."

"This.. This is insane, incredible."

The sudden hatred that washes my body for the man who seemed to happy, makes me lunge for the photo. He predicted my move and snatches the photo away, letting my fingertips brush the glossy surface.

"I'm just looking it!" He defends, pinning his arm around my waist so I'm trapped across his frame, trying to grab the photo that was within eyesight but not within reach. His arm was too long, therefore he was now tainting me.

"She's mine!" I shout, a struggling noise leaving my throat as I tried reaching for the photo.

"A girl? A little girl." He says to himself looking at the photo in awe. Then the realisation dawns upon his face, the awe-struck changes into one of pain.

He shouldn't be looking. It's private. That photo is private! That's my baby! Mine!

"Lamb... W-what happened to our baby?"

The question I feared the most. I struggled and pushed until I squirmed off his lap. Getting to my feet, I could feel my chest heaving for air, the pain that was associated with the memory came flooding in.

What happened to our baby?

She was my baby. My precious... Don't go there.

Cody looked up to me waiting but I couldn't. I couldn't answer him, I couldn't give him the answers he wanted, the answers he needed!

"I'd like you to leave."

But as he rose off the chair, I stepped back. I had forgotten how tall he was in all this, how intimidating he looked sometimes...

"Tell me.." He whispered in a plea.

"I-I can't." I answered before rushing into our bedroom. Leaving him stood in the lounge, the photo still clasped between his fingers.

Push it down. Push it down and push it away. Contain it Leah. Contain it!

......