43- Ice Cold Water

"Leah.. Leah." Zak spoke making my eyes open, a tightened arm was around my waist holding me up as I lifted my head from his neck. "Hey it's okay. You um..."

Finding my spaghetti legs, I stood up slowly, not moving out of Zak's arm in case the floor decided to move and trip me up again.

"Passed out. Yeah, I get it." I mumbled pushing up off his chest and leaning against the sink on my own. Rubbing my face, I tried to get my thoughts in order.

Pregnant.

Me...

It can't be right. 

"That thing..." I motioned to the white stick in his hand. "It's wrong. It has to be wrong. I-I'm on the pill. It's wrong."

"But what if—"

"There's no what if!" I snap pushing off the side "There is no baby.  It's nothing. The test is wrong, I probably did it wrong. It's a false reading. That is hardly accurate is it, I mean... People do like 5,6, hell even 10 to make sure it's right. They get different readings too. That's wrong. I know my own body. I would know if I was pregnant."

"You didn't last time." Zak replied quietly making me stop.

The mere thought of Amelia made me stop instantly, I glanced back and shook my head "You're wrong for bringing her up..."

"Babe, I'm just trying to tell you that it's possible—"

"No! It's not!"

Leaving him in the bathroom, I decided now would be the time to make myself busy and shut out the past 20 minutes. Deciding that the test was wrong and move on.

It was wrong. Completely wrong.

................

The cold air was the first thing that woke me, it made me shiver as goosebumps coated my skin. The room was dark and the house around me was silent. Featherlike touches ran over my skin, making me glance at the large hand wrapped around my body protectively. I felt lips push a kiss on my shoulder and the warmness of his body cloak my back, defending mine from any more of the cold.

Peaceful.

Silent.

Us.

Wanting to see him, I shifted slowly and continued to, until I could see his sleeping face. His lips were now apart, his eyelashes resting on each over and eyelids shut over the grey and blue orbs I had become obsessed with.

Since this afternoon, we had been quiet, I had limited myself in speaking, only answering questions that were not related to the obvious situation at this moment in time.

I had firmly decided the test was wrong and to prove it, we were attending a doctors appointment tomorrow or was it today? To make sure we both knew it was wrong so that we can move on without questions hanging over our heads. Right now, I felt bad for Zak. He never signed up for this, no matter which way the dice fell. He doesn't want a family, and he sure as hell doesn't want someone so damaged by losing a child, she never really knew.

He deserves better. So much better.

Reaching out, I gently brushed his cheek with my fingers "I'm so sorry you're dealing with all this," I whisper "You deserve so much more than this. Than me. You never said anything about that test, there was no joy, no anger. Nothing. But I hope for our sakes it's negative. It will be negative."