44- Torn

Zak POV

My eyes were staring at the back of her head, the long dark tendrils of hair were resting against the stark white pillow, gracing down her back as she slept.

How could she be sleeping at a time like this?

I know I couldn't. I tried but my mind was tearing in half every time I thought back to the doctors appointment. How she so easily said that she wanted an abortion. It fell from her lips as if she was asking about the weather...

I understood she was scared, hell, I was too. But I thought that if we had each other we could maybe make this work.

Never in my life had I imagined that I could be a father. I could be responsible for someone. Truth be known, I was scared shitless, but that doesn't mean I want to take the one opportunity I had been given and throw it away! My feelings ran deep for Leah, real deep. She knew I loved her and she loved me. At least I thought she did?

The second the doctor confirmed my suspicions, I looked at her in a new light, marvelled her and almost began to worship her, until those damning words left her lips....

I was scared of the unknown, which is how I became a paranormal investigator, because I didn't know anything of the afterlife, but I rose to the challenge of that. So why can I not rise to the opportunity to do this?

A safe home, a well paying job, so much money that I didn't know what to do with it, time, my age, hell... I was in the best situation to be a father. Wasn't I?

Was she scared about the baby? Or was it me? Was I not father material?

Maybe I wasn't... - Now that thought stung.

Would she leave me if I didn't agree with her choice? Would I lose her and my chance at being a father?

I never had a stable father role in my life, but instead of that deterring me, it only made me more determined to focus on being one, a better one than I could ever imagine!

My eyes settled on the gently curve of Leah's hip, imaging the shape changing as my baby grew within her stomach. How her stomach would stretch to accommodate the tiny human created by us. How she would have that pregnancy glow about her, how I would get up in the middle of the night just to get her whatever she needed. Even if it was raisins! And I hated those little curranty bastards!

For the first time, I wanted to be someone else. I wanted to be Zak, the boy from Washington DC, the now Vegas settled paranormal investigating, museum owning, reformed player.... And father to one.

For the first time in my life, I wanted to be someone's everything... I wanted to
Be a dad.

......................

Leah POV.

Rolling over in bed, I reached out for the warm body and went to pull myself across. But stopped on the account of the bed being cold.

Scrunching my eyes at the morning light, I grumbled and stared at the empty pillow beside me. Where was he?

Yawning, I stretched my body before sitting up in bed and looked around the bedroom, through narrowed eyes as my eyes felt assaulted by the light.