34- His request.

Zak POV

I sigh gently, looking down at the woman whose idea of bed, was sleeping on the couch with what looked like my jacket draped over her shoulders.

My hand reached out and with my index finger, I gently removed a piece of hair that landed over her face. Giving myself an unhindered view of her perfect features.

She sighed softly at my touch and stirred gently before falling back to sleep. My eyes never left her face as I lowered myself onto the coffee table. Watching her sleep whilst I tried to calm the storm inside my body at what had just happened.

Looking down at my hands, I turned them over, finding blood.

The bowl of water from earlier was still sat on the end of the coffee table, so whilst she slept, I cleaned my hands off the best I could before disposing of the water and cotton balls.

Standing in the kitchen, I looked out the window feeling the turmoil setting into my gut.

She's going to have so many questions, questions I don't have the answers too. What if she takes it all out on me? Maybe she won't understand? But he asked...

"Zak?" Leah's small sleepy voice rasped making me spin instantly to stare at her as she rubbed her eyes.

"Hey sleepy." I whispered crossing the kitchen and pulling her into my arms.

With a grumble, she nuzzled into my neck, letting me inhale her scent. Letting me saviour it before everything goes to shit..

"You're cold." She mumbled rubbing her hands up and down my back trying to create a little warmth.

"I'm fine."

She pulled back and glanced up at me, her eyes still a little tired, her skin a little paler than normal from sleep. I smiled softly and soothed my hands over her hair and face.

"Did you find him?"

My heart sank but I nodded.

"Where was he? Is he.... Is he okay?" She asked cautiously.

"He was sat at the veteran memorial. Um.. Maybe uh, maybe I should get you a drink first, tea? Coffee?" I suggested trying to delay this a few more minutes. I had just got her back. I wasn't ready to let her go. I didn't want to let her go!

"Zak what's happened?"

Seeing her pleading eyes, I caved and guided her to the couch before gesturing for her to sit. Worried, she sank onto the couch, her hands held together.

"This is bad.. Isn't it? That's why you're making me sit down."

"It might be a shock..." I replied quietly.

She took a shaky breath before straightening her spine. "Okay. Okay I'm ready."

I wasn't..

"I found him at the memorial, he was upset. We talked, well he did most of it, I listened. About the war, about you, about how he felt."

"You're using past tense."

"What?" I ask looking up from her hands.

"You. You're using past tense and you can't look at me. Just tell me what has happened Zak because you're scaring me more."

"He got upset and he had his gun, I thought— I thought he was going to kill me. I..." I paused.

"Tell me exactly what happened. Because you trying to make this easier isn't working. I need the uncensored version Zak. Please. You owe me that." She whispered as her hands went to her mouth.