33- The art of war

Zak POV.

Hundreds of thousands of people travel to Vegas every year to take a glimpse at the city of multicoloured lights and endless attractions. From street performers to party people, everyone and everything was here in Vegas. Sure it looked all glamorous and big names had been here, some big names still hung around here, but Vegas also had a darker side.... A much darker side.

Much like New York, this place never slept, forever full of people littering the sidewalks as they explored the night. Which was a pain in my part, as right now, I was looking for a guy and his gun.

A few times I decided against it, wanting to return back to Leah and just hold her. But I knew she would worry for Cody and his deteriorating state, and after promising to get him help, I vowed to keep myself out until I had him or he returned back to Leah's.

It was certainly a shock, coming face to face with the man that's been a large part of Leah's life. He was a soldier, a man who defended this country, and despite our conflict in fighting for Leah's love, I had nothing but respect for him. Heck I didn't want to hit him, I would have stayed still if it meant that I got to speak with Leah, but the pain in her features triggered something within me, so I did what I had to, to put an end to it.

My eyes scoured looking for the shorts and hood combo, but every time I thought I had a glimpse of him, it turned out to be a stranger.

He could be anywhere, be in any place, shop, hotel, casino, brothel.. Anywhere. This was the perfect hiding place. But I continued on my search, because of one woman.

Leaving the strip, I ventured into the not so glamour part of Vegas, cruising down the sidewalks, looking in alley ways hoping to find him. But it was fruitless, without some kind of idea of where he would be, I'm useless.

I sat in the car for what felt like ages before it struck me. There was only one place that I knew...

Checking the traffic, I turned the car around and headed across Vegas. My fingers drummed against wheel as I progressed through the streets until I finally began seeing the signs. Glancing at my phone, I debated ringing Leah, but I didn't want her to get her hopes up thinking that I had Cody when I didn't.

...

Pulling up outside, I glanced across the paved floor, looking between the spot lights which illuminated large marble pieces along side figures that were stood still, depicting a war that had never quiet finished. The war for peace was never over, it was just delayed.

Vegas Veteran Memorial.

I almost pulled away, when I caught a figure sat in front of one stone soldiers. Placing the car into park, I got out slowly and quietly, remembering he was upset and he also had a gun.

Making my way over, I thought about approaching quietly, but decided against it.

"You're the last person I want to see." Cody spoke making my first predicament dissolve instantly.

"Lucky I'm not here to see you then. Isn't it?" I reply, stopping behind him.

"Don't worry." He speaks placing the gun out to his side, the magazine was missing. "If I wanted to hurt you, or even kill you. I wouldn't need a gun."

"I don't doubt that."

We stay in silence, his eyes never leaving the statues before him, mine glancing around the place whilst trying to keep my eye on the gun, just in case...

The Demon's Whispersजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें