14 - Break the mourn

12 hours earlier..

My body forgets how to function as I stare at him. I'm not even sure my heart is beating in this moment. It's not possible. It's not possible... This is a dream.

"Hey sweetheart." Cody smiles stepping towards me.

I stumble back. "No. No. No. No. No I buried you.. This is a dream."

My hands slap over my eyes as I chant for myself to wake up, needing this to be over. Needing this dream or nightmare to end!

"It's not a dream." He speaks softly.

I pull my hands away and shake my head, whispering in disbelief. "No.... No."

My confusion, shock, upset, joy and anger blends into chaos. "NO!" I yell as he reaches for me. Slapping his hand away, I shove him away. "NO! NO! NO! NO!!!"

"Lamb.." He whispers making my heart break at the pet name he used to call me.

"NO!!" I scream hitting his chest and shoving him further away from me. "This isn't real! This isn't! I mourned you! I buried you! I died with you! You're a ghost!"

He grabbed my wrist and pressed his hand against my chest. "Do I feel like a ghost? Can't you feel my heart?"

My fingertips close over his thumping heart. "This isn't happening..."

"Lamb.. Please." He pleads as I break down.

"You can't be here. You're not here. What's happening?!" I cry at him, my lungs fight for air as I expel everything from my body.

"I am. Sweetheart look at me."

I shake my head and try retracting my hand. At first, I fail but after the third attempt he lets my wrist go, letting me snatch it back.

"Leah–"

"Get out. I don't care where or who or why! Get out!"

"You're in shock." He speaks lifting his hands in defence, but I can't stand to see him stood there. I freak and run to the bedroom, shutting myself in it. Looking at his things, his clothes still sat on the chair, his cologne bottles still sat on the dresser, his ties still hung in the wardrobe and I knew... I knew his toothbrush still sat beside mine.

A sob escapes my throat as I slide down the door holding my chest at the pain inside me. I can't cope with what's happening around me and if I died in this moment? It would be a welcome development because life had just kicked my fucking ass.

••••••

I'm sat on the bed, surrounded by photos of us, reliving our memories, remembering better times, when he opens the door gently and pokes his head around.

"Can I come in?" He asks softly.

I shiver and wipe my eyes, my other arm still clutching his pillow. "H-how?"

The smell of coffee hits my nose as he walks in and sets it onto the bedside table. "Drink it whilst it's warm. There's some whiskey in it too... For the shock."

I shake my head "I-I can't."

"You need to." He soothes picking up the cup and bringing it to my lips. My face crumbles and I begin to cry again causing him to set it back.

"I don't understand."

"I know darling. I know. I'm so sorry for all of this."