⋆one

Doctor, a person who is qualified to treat people who are ill.

Jungkook

4 years earlier

I opened my mouth widely, my eyes closing lightly as my half-awake body craved its soft mattress. The doctor moved the light away, taking a seat on his leather chair which matched his crisp white robe. He scribbled something onto a piece of paper, then spun around on his fancy chair to face me and my mother.

"So Jungkook..." He spoke, a questioning tone in his voice. "Has it gotten any worse?".

I spaced out for a second, not really knowing what answer to give. I could control myself a lot better ever since that happened, but my cravings had intensified.

"I just want it more and more often" I paused, thinking about that one day where I woke up seven times in the middle of the night to get myself a drink. "I almost can't live without it".

It was crazy. I had learned to live with my peculiar obsession ever since I was a young boy, but it was starting to overrule my entire life. I couldn't do anything without wanting to ditch whatever I had been doing and having to make myself something to quench my thirst.

I was starting to worry about my mom too. She was working her butt off to make enough money for us to get by, and it wasn't working for us. The bills piled up, my expenses increased and her budget was getting cuts. We didn't have enough to get me going.

"Mrs. Jeon, your new job hasn't been paying well has it?" She nodded, sighing loudly. "I can't do this on my own Dr.Kim".

He took a deep breath, just sitting in his chair completely still, contemplating his next move.

The doctor stood up, approaching me slowly.

"Jungkook... hear me out" he said, his tone serious. "I know this has never worked for you before... but I think it might be time... you get yourself a job".

My eyes became double the size, scared at the idea of working somewhere again. My bosses never seemed to get the fact that I had an illness, as odd as it was, that I couldn't control. It always turned into a disaster, and after a while, I decided to give up on the idea of being a responsible adult.

"I'm not sure if that's-" I said, but was interrupted by Dr.Kim who spoke up.

"Listen to me Jungkook" he kneeled down in front of me, hand touching my leg. "Also, how many times have I told you to call me by my first name?" he smiled kindly. "I'm only a few years older than you".

I knew that well, but it was still weird to me to call my own doctor by his name as if he was my friend or something.

"I found this shop close by the city that is perfect for your condition" I raised my eyebrow, not really getting where he was going with this. "What do you mean?".

Me and my family didn't live anywhere near the city, and I surely couldn't afford to take the bus to Seoul and back to get to work every day.

"Well, it is a smoothie shop, it sells fruit and drinks and shakes and whatever, they would offer you free beverages" I laughed at the idea, which seemed logical yet ridiculous at the same time.

"How is all this going to work though?" I asked, not willing to spend all of my daily salary on bus fairs. "It's far away from home".

My mother took a step forward, standing in front of me. Her serious expression soon faded and a bright smile appeared on her face. She uncrossed her arms, stretching them out toward me and opening them to reveal what I recognised as a key.

"What's this?" I asked, and she gestured for me to take it from her palm. "Is this-".

"I have been saving up" She said proudly. "You have an apartment now, just for you".

My eyes widened in surprise. I couldn't believe this, but as excited as I was, I couldn't accept such a gift.

"Mom, this is too much" I said, standing up and passing her the key. Her hand wrapped around my own, my fingers closing over the tiny object. "No Jungkook, I want you to have it".

I stepped closer to her, wrapping my arms around her petite waist and hugging her tightly. Soon, I was engulfed in my mother's warm embrace. "Thank you".

Her smile never disappeared. She seemed to be very happy about this. "I knew this was going to happen at some point" She paused, taking a seat "You are an adult now with normal adult needs, you can't live with your mom forever". I smiled back at her, getting a tad bit emotional.

I loved my mom and my family with every bone in my body. Leaving her would be hard, but it was destined to happen at some point.

"I expect you can take care of yourself, you are a big boy now" Her voice gave off a happy vibe, but there was a sad undertone to it. "Besides, I have a little surprise once you get there".

Another one? I thought, my heart beating loudly from the excitement.

"Anyway, it's time to go now" My mom said, paying the doctor and standing up to get out and get the car. "Thank you Dr.Kim".

He gave her an assuring smile and turned to face me.

"I wish you all the best Jungkook" He said, his tall form straightening up. "I am sure it will all go smoothiely".

I mentally face-palmed myself at his lame pun. He always seemed to make them, but they kind of brought up the mood.

"I am sure everything will be as sweet as an orange Mr. Seokjin hyung" I said, grabbing my jacket and walking outside after shaking his hand.

It was still a bit chilly. Winter hadn't fully ended yet and Spring was soon to come. Small flowers had started to bloom at the edge of the pavements and the sky seemed to be clearer. The birds were coming out too, but the weather was still unstable.

I jogged towards my Mother's car at the end of the street, closing the door behind me once I got in.

"Sooo... Mom" I paused, and she turned to look at me. She twisted the key, and the engine roared loudly as it came to life.

"What's the surprise?".

__

I am back with a new story.

I really hope you enjoy this since the idea came out of a dream that I saw recently. I believe it's original and that it will go well, let's hope it will at least.

If you have any questions make sure to leave a comment and I will try my best to answer them.

I will attach a question after every chapter since I want to get to know you better. Also, I love seeing comments and knowing who my readers are so maybe this will help.

Q: Do you like doctors?