⋆twenty four

fathom discern, understand, pinpoint

Jungkook

“What's so important that we have to do this now?” I asked Namjoon sharply, in my seat with my hands drooping over the space between my legs.

I glanced outside the window, watching as Hoseok's car drove away and into the flooded street with a low speed. He was in the car with my girl, and I was just that coward.

“I have a few...” The words took a turn in his mouth before sliding off of his tongue casually. “questions”.

Amidst the empty store and the pouring rain outside, the low hum of the music playing behind and the chill air coming in from a window, Namjoon's voice sounded almost mute, flat, but it still had that hint of significance that always came along with him.

I huffed loudly. “Proceed”.

“Actually, before I start, I need to clear a few things out. I'm afraid there might be a few misunderstandings, or not, but I just want to adress what's really going on”. His tone was steady, words monotone as he spoke.

I remained silent, staring into the far distance.

“This is an investigation. The real thing, It's legal, It's goverment information”. He was so serious, my bones shook at the mere look of him.

I chuckled. “I though we had that cleared Nam-”.

“We are not friends, but I do firmly believe that you won't answer any of my actual questions until I prove that I am trustworthy”.

“That sounds like a-not-so-private-investigator thing to say”.

I run my hands over my jeans, mind wandering to all sorts of places; from crowded streets, to houses, to Woods and empty bedrooms; blank.

“So, how does this case work exactly?” I shook myself out of my thoughts, cracking my neck so I could sit up-right.

Namjoon stood up, walked to the other side of the table from where he dug his hands into a black backpack that was placed on the wooden chair and grabbed a few leaflets of paper before sitting down next to me again.

He threw the paper on the table with force, to a point where they made a loud thud. “Concider us partners after this”.

“Remember the part about gaining my trust?” I mumbled under my breath.

“That's exactly what I'm doing” Namjoon scoffed, eyes turning into slits. He was expressionless.

Am I annoying him?.

Namjoon slid the attached pieces of paper across the table, pointing to them harshly. “Here's everything you need to know”.

“Is it just you?” The question came out of the blue.