4

The next week flew by fast, and I saw even less of my sister than usual, but more of Tripp than ever since my car broke down. He drove me most every where, and I had never been more grateful to have him around.

I asked him if he could take me to the coffee cafe downtown because they were hiring, and of course he agreed.

I woke up early Saturday morning, took a shower, and dressed in my blush sundress and heels, leaving my hair down around my shoulders with just a quick brush-through. Not too dressy, but enough to look somewhat professional. I really need this job.

I trotted down the stairs and every one was already gone for the day. I heard Tripp's horn blow and locked the front door on my way out. He leaned across the console and pushed my door open for me and I climbed inside. "Morning." He smiled and pulled out of the driveway.

"I'm nervous." I admitted as I grabbed the aux cord and scanned my phone for something good. He laughed a little. "Don't be nervous. They'd have to be crazy not to hire you." He flashed me his award-winning smile and I rolled my eyes. "You're obligated to say that." "Am not." He stuck his tongue out and I laughed again, my nerves relaxing a little.

The ride was relaxing, and soon enough we were in downtown Gracetown, and it looked like something out of Andy Griffith. Classic small-town. Gracetown Cafe was nestled between Creamsicles and a small fabric store. Gracetown Cafe had a blue awning, a tiny table and chairs outside the large bay window, and it looked homely.

I had a good feeling as I climbed from Tripp truck and he gave me a reassuring wink and I crossed the small street. It was fairly busy, and I saw a flustered red-head behind the counter. She was probably 40, chubby, and clearly overwhelmed.

Working beside her was a girl with black hair, black clothes, tattoos and piercings...everywhere.

Half of the counter held the cash register, and the other half was just a counter and a window full of tiny pastries. I gulped and approached the counter as the last customer of the rush paid and walked away. The woman, whom's nametag read Carol wiped her forehead with the back of her hand and smiled at me cheerfully. I returned her smile. "What can I do ya for?" "Well, um, I saw in the paper that you're wanting some extra help..." I gestured to the paper in my hand.

"You're hired." She blurted and I was taken a back. "Don't you wanna...ask me questions?" I laughed a little. "Hmm you're right." She tied her hair back with a hairband off her wrist and placed her chubby hands on her waist. "Do you know how to make coffee?" I nodded. "Are you a nice person?" I nodded again with a smile. "Good! Job's yours." She shoved an apron at me and I took it by surprise.

I quickly rushed, in a daze, out to tell Tripp I had a job as of...right now... and to come back to get me at 6. He smiled and squeezed my hand for a moment, "That's my Brookie." He smiled and drove away.

I took a deep breath before running back in. Here's to a new chapter of my life.