Chapter 29

For the first time in months, I went to sleep early. Asleep for the night by eight-thirty. The stress of the past few months finally caught up with me, and I didn't remember a thing except hitting the bed once Tripp left my room.

I heard a knock on my door and turned over to see the small clock on the tiny side table read 10:26am. I flung the covers off and flattened my hair, quickly rushing to the door to open it. Aunt Sherry smiled and I apologized. "Don't be sorry, honey. Babies take a lot out of us." She giggled.

"Everyone's going down to the lake at noon. Have a picnic and do some fishing." She winked and walked away. I closed the door and went to slip into my new pair of jeans, and my favorite yellow shirt that I still fit into, a little snug, but it fit! And that's all that mattered.

"You owe me money for some new clothes." I spoke to Luke and poked my belly. He kicked back responsively and I laughed. I found a lot of my time lately before bed being spent poking my belly to feel him kick or hit back. They spend nine months being encouraged to kick and hit, only to be told not to when they're born.

I tried my best to tame my hair down, and tossed my phone, still turned off, into the drawer of the small night stand. It felt so good not to have to worry. It had been a relaxing weekend already.

I trotted down both flights of stairs and heard the chatter of people. I arrived in the kitchen to find Uncle Todd and Aunt Sherry preparing lunch with Tripp.

Aunt Sherry smiled and greeted me, but I couldn't tear my eyes away from Tripp. He had trimmed his hair this morning, shorter on the sides and it poked up a little up front now. It looked really good. He wore jeans and a a grey tank top, toned arms in plain view. And in a strange way, I didn't mind the view.

Aunt Sherry asked me to come help her with lunch while Tripp and Todd went to set up the picnic tables down by the lake. Tripp walked toward me at the counter and wrapped his arms around me just like he always had. I returned his hug and when he finally pulled away, he just simply said, "You look beautiful today."

Tripp had never told me that before unless it was prom. Never just on an average day. My head was left spinning as he turned and walked out, his bright smile flashing my way as he closed the door behind himself.

His boots clunking across the deck and down the front stairs drowned out whatever Aunt Sherry was saying to me as I stirred mayonnaise into pasta salad.

I was still processing what all had happened between Tripp and I lately. I was no longer sure if it was all still meant in friendliness or not. I had thought at first that Tripp was just being extra friendly because I needed it after the news about the pregnancy, then dealing with my family. But then the kisses. They didn't feel friendly.

In fact, I was starting to wonder if there was even a such thing as 'friendly kisses' and if I was just trying to ignore something I was afraid to see.

I shook my head and answered all, well most, of Aunt Sherry's questions about the pregnancy and about Luke.

"Have you painted his nursery yet?" She asked with a smile. No, I hadn't even bought anything for him yet. I felt guilty, but I needed time at first to process that I was even pregnant at all.

In that moment, I decided I wanted to finally begin to decorate the tiny spare room in my apartment as Luke's room, and that brought a smile to my face.

It was strange to think about how much had changed in the past four, almost five, months since that party at Josh's. I used to be so shy and quiet. Luke had given me a certain boldness.

Sherry pulled her hair back and secured it there, announcing that we needed to start taking the food out to the car. I agreed, and she and I began carrying the pasta salad, trays of sandwiches, and drinks, out to her SUV and sitting them all in the back.

I glanced down at the lake and saw that the guys were finishing up setting up the two large wooden picnic tables, and most everyone was already down there. Dylan, Brianna and Maggie all played in the water while the other's stood around and talked. From my spot on the porch it was hard to tell exactly who was who.

Sherry and I drove the little ways down to the lake and the guys took the food and sat it on the tables while she and I carried the drinks.

Uncle James said grace over the meal, and we all began digging in. Everyone complimented the pasta salad I had finished making and Aunt Sherry let me take credit for it. I learned that this was a very friendly family, and they thought nothing of hugging you any time they felt like it. My father's family had never been that way, and my mother didn't usually hug. The only person I ever really hugged was Tripp.

"Well Tripp, I'd say she's a good'n. If they can cook, marry 'em!" Uncle James chuckled and everyone joined him. I waited for Tripp to correct his uncle as he piled his plate with two sandwiches and another spoonfull of 'my' pasta salad.

But I was a little shocked when all Tripp said was, "I just might." And his Uncle Todd clapped him over the back.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and couldn't help but smile. Why was I smiling?

Maybe I should just accept whatever it was that was happening. My mind traveled back to Clint, and drowned out just a bit of my joy. I wanted to see where things were headed.

Lunch finished and Tripp pulled several fishing poles out of the back of his truck, and carried them over. Everyone began taking one until he approached me with just two left. He extended one toward me and I took it. He opened the tackle box and he reached for my pole. I snatched it away and stuck my tongue out.

I picked up a worm, slid him over my hook, and cast my line out into the deep part of the lake. Tripp shook his head and baited his own. "Luke is definitely going to have it good." He chuckled out the words.

I laughed and nudged Tripp's shoulder. Uncle James yelled something else about a woman that can cook and then bait a hook is a 'good'n' but I didn't catch all of it.

Everyone chattered mindesly and shared family memories as we all sat around the lake, drowning worms. Nothing was biting. I was beginning to wonder if there were any fish in this lake. Either way, it was so relaxing. Tripp's family was so nice. No one looked at me strangely, or judged me. They were all happy for me, and referred to Luke as 'Luke'. I wished my mother could have that same reaction. I had never lied to her. Maybe father's death was finally catching up with her.

Or maybe having to deal with Brian was enough to drive her insane. I could surely relate.

No one noticed the clouds beginning to gather over us, and thunder sounded. I jumped and Tripp laughed, "Come on, let's get started cleaning up before we all get drenched." He stood and dusted off the back of his jeans. I handed him my pole and began helping Aunt Sherry load the food back into her SUV.

Out of no where, it was like the bottom dropped out of the sky. A downpour so heavy we were all soaked within moments. The kids screamed and ran for the house, everyone rushed to finish cleaning up so we could get out of the rain.

Once everything was cleaned up, I turned to run after everyone else and escape the rain when I felt a familiar grasp on my forearm. I turned to see Tripp, drenched, hair plastered to his face as water dripped off of his nose. "I need to tell you something." He announced over the pounding rain falling around us.