Chapter 41

Tripp's POV

Brooke was wiping tears from her eyes and trying to compose herself as the credits began to roll.

She laughed so hard that she cried. I, however, was pretty sure I needed to change my pants.

As we walked out of the theater, she was still giggling a little. "Oh my goodness, you're better than the movie." she patted my arm and I shook my head. "That's real funny, Brookie." and she began to laugh again, no doubt recalling my less than manly reaction to that movie.

The night was going so good that I was afraid of messing it up. This was the first time we'd been together with no fighting or drama in months. I missed it.

She almost always had a hand propped on her belly, and she looked exactly how I'd always pictured her looking when she was all... pregnant. Still thin, just a perfect round belly.

I tried not to stare too often, but it was so darn cute. And somehow even cuter now that I knew he was mine too. I pushed out thoughts of her in one of my t-shirts, too big for her, draped over her tummy...Stop it, Tripp.

It was quiet as we strolled back to my truck, and after warring with myself, I studdered out the words, "Um, would you like to, I don't know, go grab something to eat?"

She folded her arms, shielding herself from the chilly early October Georgia air, and was quiet long enough that I almost apologized before she answered.

"Sure."

Brooke's POV

"Um, would you like to, I don't know, go grab something to eat?" Tripp asked timidly.

I hadn't had this much fun in a while... too long, and honestly, I didn't want it to be over.

If it could be like this between us all the time, I might not mind giving it a shot with him. I started to over analyze that thought, but stopped myself before I could ruin the lightheartedness of the night.

Well, early morning. A little after midnight now.

we loaded into the truck, and headed to a small 24 hour restaurant known for their waffles and truck drivers. Tripp reached behind the seat of his truck and handed me an old jacket of his.

This place was also known for their fridgid indoor temps.

I shrugged into the jacket that all but swallowed me whole, and we walked inside, taking a seat at a booth beside the jukebox. The waitress took our drink order and disappeared.

"So are you gonna tell me who I need to shoot?" Tripp folded his arms on the table in front of him and smiled at me.

He was always smiling and it always seemed to put me at ease.

It was like his smile was my kryptonite or something.

I took a deep breath and shrugged. "Tonight was that dinner for Brian that I told you about. Turns out it was actually an engagement party for him and my mother." The waitress sat the drinks down on the table; a coke for Tripp and an orange juice for me.

"I'm sorry, Brooke." He gave me a lopsided sympathetic smile and i emotionally swerved to miss the tears that were about to hit me head on. "It's okay. Just life lately." I laughed a little.

Tripp reached over and covered my small hand with his larger one. My eyes met his and he smiled. I rolled my eyes and gave in, turning my hand over and interlacing our fingers.

I won't lie, it felt nice. Luke was going to get a pop on the butt for all the matchmaking he'd done the past few months.

We ordered, still hand in hand, and the young bubbly waitress blurted, "Y'all are soo cute. When is the baby due?"

Instead of correcting her, I just answered, "February 18th." and she smiled, congratulating us both and walking away to relay our order to the cook.

I looked back at Tripp who was smiling from ear to ear and rolled my eyes. "We're holding hands. Is it a date now?" He whispered, and I laughed, really laughed.

"Yes Tripp. Its a date."

"This makes date number two, then." He cut his eyes up at me and my mouth opened in protest but he hushed me. "Nope. When we went dancing, I held your hand the whole time we danced."

"Tripp," I admonished, but he laughed, holding up his free hand in defense. "You're the one that said hand-holding officializes a date. Your words, not mine."

I laughed but couldn't disagree. That's what made it so funny. "You sly dog." I pointed at him and narrowed my eyes.

He smiled at first and then sipped his coke before speaking. "Guess I'm catching up with rich boy now, huh?"

He rubbed his thumb over my hand and I lost my train of thought, studdering and 'um'ing until I finally forced the words out. "I'm not dating 'rich boy'." His head snapped up at the words.

"When you saw us walking outside the school, he asked me if I would attend a family event with him and I said I would think about it. He called tonight and I told him I didn't want to see him anymore." Tripp couldn't conceal the happiness in his brown eyes, even if his face was blank. So instead, he shrugged and sipped his coke again, playing it cool like he did as a young teen. "That's probably best."

I just shook my head, smiling. I knew him better than that.

The food finally arrived and I ignored the familiar longing as he slipped his hand away from mine.

For the first time in a while I felt young and carefree. Tripp had that effect on me.

As he took his first bite of hashbrowns and I covered mine in ketchup, I finally remembered to ask, "Speaking of our first date," I laughed, "Where did you learn to dance like that?"

He swallowed and thought for a second. "I'll tell you what. If you agree to go with me again, I'll tell you."

I sat back in my booth and narrowed my eyes at him, folding my arms on top of my tummy. "Tripp Sparks, bribing me into another date."

"Is it working?"

"Yes."

"Good. Cause I bought you a dress to wear."

"How did you know I would say yes?"

"Cause you're too nosey to say no."

He winked and for a few moments I was really happy. Playful flirting with Tripp with my little boy kicking around inside me. Nothing else mattered.