57

Brooke's POV

I couldn't shake the nervous nausea at the back of my throat as looked myself over in the mirror. I still hadn't lost my baby weight, and I was chubby in places I wish I wasn't.

I changed outfits four times before I settled on jeans, flip-flops, and a white tank top. About a week ago, I had added lighter highlights in my hair, and I'd tanned a lot from all of our trips to the beach. It was 6 o'clock now, and we'd agreed to meet at 7. I'm gonna puke.

A cartoons theme song was traveling rather loudly down the hallway as I walked past each room looking for Luke. I found him sitting clad in only a diaper in front of the TV. I laughed and walked over, swooping him up and blowing raspberries on his tummy, making him laugh. I wasn't sure if I was crazy, or if his laugh sounded that much like Tripp's.

I carried him into his room and he grunted, pointing at his different toys, babbling on about them as I looked through his clothes, finally pulling out a pair of khaki shorts and a button up shirt, along with a tee to go underneath. I dressed him quickly, midst much protest. He was starting the terrible two's a bit early apparently. I finally wrestled some sandals on his chubby feet and we played with some cars, distracting him enough that I could run a brush through his nappy hair.

Paige came out dressed in short shorts and a tank, and I smiled at how beautiful she was. The night I thought she was dead was one of the worst nights of my life, and there was never afterward that I took her for granted. She was helping me raise my son, and working to help with rent. I was so proud of her.

"Ready?" She stuffed her hands in her pockets and smiled brightly. I nodded, "As ready as I'll ever be." And we giggled like school girls.

Tripp's POV

My head was starting to throb a little with a tension headache as I shut the door to my car and walked toward the large crowded dock where the carnival was. Imagine the most generic, movie-worthy carnival you've ever seen. Got it? That's exactly what it looked like.

I scanned the crowd, looking for her, as my palms moistened and my heart pounded. Lots of kids, lots of blondes. but none that made the hair on the back of my neck stand at attention.

Then, I saw her.

My mouth went dry, and I quickly reminded myself to drag in another breath before I passed out. I cleared my throat, and began walking in her direction. Luke pointed to a large teddy bear and then I noticed the girl beside them was Paige, getting ready to throw a ball at a stack of glass bottles to win the teddy bear. Luke bounced up and down with excitement and Brooke laughed. My god she's beautiful.

Finally, when I got close enough, Brooke looked up and saw me. Her face dropped and she swallowed, smiling quickly. Oh good, maybe she's nervous too.

She made sure Paige watched Luke, and then began walking toward me. Just as I began to debate with myself how to greet her, she threw her arms around my neck and squeezed me tight, taking me by surprise. I hesitantly snuggled her into my arms and took in her scent. She still smelt the same, and I recalled the last time her body was this close to mine.

When we finally released each other, she held me at arms length and looked me over. "Wow." She smiled and I blushed for the first time in my life. "You look amazing." She blushed as well, and that made me feel a little better. I looked past her and saw Paige holding Luke, watching. "You don't look too bad yourself, Brookie." I winked and she laughed. The same beautiful sound that had haunted my dreams for a year and a half.

"That's him," I sighed and she nodded, following my gaze and smiling at her son. Our son.

As crazy as this probably sounds, I felt like we were picking up where we left off. Only Brooke was happy. Really happy. And Luke was here. He was here and giggling and babbling to his mom. I watched in elation as she tickled his belly and finally pointed to me, introducing me as her friend. That stung a little, but what could I expect?

Luke played some games and I bought him some cotton candy, which he immensely enjoyed, and then the evening came to a close around 8. I was awkwardly waiting beside Brooke's car as she buckled a sleepy Luke into his car seat, and shut the car door, turning to face me.

Her face had a healthy glow now, and she didn't look frail anymore. In fact, she'd put on some weight, and it looked amazing. I cleared my throat in an attempt to clear my mind of the thoughts it shouldn't be having.

"What?" She laughed and eyed be suspiciously. I shook my head and opened her door for her. "Hey, um," She paused and pushed some hair behind her ear, glancing back at a crying Luke. "Why don't you come over? We could just talk or something after I put him in bed." She suggested and I played it cool, not jumping at her with a YES, pretending to mull it over before replying with a collected, "Sure, that'd be fine. I'll follow you."

My mind wandered as I watched her car turn down different little streets and pass cute little cafe's and clubs, like an uppity version of Gracetown, in my opinion. We pulled into a complex, and the apartments were nice. Cream colored with brown accents, and lots of them.

We parked and she exited the car. I could hear Luke crying from inside the car when she opened his door. She pulled him from the car seat and walked up the stairs to the second level, sticking her key in the door handle of appointment #122B and walking inside.

I approached the car where Paige stood and she smiled brightly at me. I took in how healthy she looked now as well, and we began strolling to the apartment. I had been too wrapped up in Brooke and Luke at the fair to notice the way she limped slightly when she stepped on his right foot. "Some scars still hang around." She read my mind and laughed a little. I couldn't join her, it was little morbid. But I respected her cheery outlook on it.

"Hey, she's missed you." Paige's words took me back a little and I stopped, staring at her in disbelief. "Really. She cried every night for months." I sighed and took my hat off, rubbing the hair beneath it in a nervous habit I'd acquired since last year. "If you were going to make a move...now's the time." She leaned in, making sure she caught my eyes. My heart skipped a beat and I nodded. If anyone would know, it's Paige.

My palms started to sweat again as Paige patted me on the arm before limping up the stairs to the apartment.

Once inside, I took in the scene before me. Messy, but not too bad. In fact, Luke was probably to blame for most of it if he was anything like my mother always says I was. I laughed a little and picked up a Buzz Lightyear action figure from the end table beside the small tan colored couch and examined the peanut butter smudges on his helmet.

Brooke shut the door to Luke's room, and started down the hallway. "Pst," Paige got my attention and winked at me and gave me two thumbs up just before Brooke entered the room and my eyes widened. Paige took her bottle of water and walked past Brooke down the hall and into a bedroom, shutting the door behind her.

Crap, this is it. All or nothing.