Chapter 43

(SO sorry it's been so long! The whold world has gone crazy and I've been so tied up dealing with the mess! haha! Enjoy, vote, and share with your friends please! if there are typos just ignore them, I'll go back through and edit later)

Tripp's POV

I rubbed my hands together in anticipation as the waiter walked over and sat down two heaping plates of Alfredo down on our table.

Charlotte giggled and we began eating. "So, tell me about yourself. I don't much besides where you work." I stuck a fork-full of pasta in my mouth. "Well," She began, patting the sides of her mouth with a napkin, "My name is Charlotte Marie Johnson, I'm originally from Seattle, Washington. But I moved here to go to college when I was 18. That was two years ago. Brought my father with me." She looked away, as if lost in thought, and then continued chewing.

"You and your father are close?" I had almost cleared my plate. She was still poking around, and nodded. "My mother died of cancer when I was 17, and he is a disabled Vet. I've taken care of him since she became too sick to do so." She pushed some hair behind her ear and scooped a fork into her mouth.

I nodded, surprised. I had assumed she was a spoiled daddy's girl that had her college days paid for in advance by her fifth birthday.

We continued eating, and she had a bright smile. A sunshiny outlook on life, and I liked her company. I excused myself and walked to the bathroom, pulling out my phone and opening the text from Brooke.

'Everything went fine at the doctor's appointment. Luke is growing just fine. He's due the second week of February. Thought you might like to know. See you tonight? :)'

I smiled and responded. 'I'll pick you up from GC at 12' and tucked my phone back into the pocket of my jeans and walked back out to the table. I told Charlotte that I had a nice time, but that I should go. She quickly stood and gave me a hug. "Drive safe, I'll see you later." She smiled. I paid for both of our meals on the way out, and waved goodbye to her from the front counter.

I knew Charlotte was getting too attached to me, and I made it a mental note to tell her soon that I was involved with someone, and would have a son is about three months.

If I had to be honest, I would say that Charlotte is a great gal. Very outgoing, sweet, and blushes constantly. She's a doll. One of the cutest girls I've met. But something stopped me every time. Every time she would giggle at dinner, or flip her hair. I knew what she was doing, and I almost wanted to gobble up the bait, but something stopped me. 'What?' you may ask?

Gas.

No, I'm kidding. Brooke. Brooke stopped me. The thought of her at work, in her hideous little apron, over her pretty large tummy would swoop into my mind unbidden and I would be throwing up my guard once again in front of sweet Charlotte.

She couldn't be blamed for coming on to me. She had no idea Brooke, or my son, existed. I didn't think it was something I needed to give sordid details about, since she was no more than a co-worker. Until tonight, when she started going on about her parents. I felt like I owed her the honesty.

As sweet as Charlotte was, she was just like every other girl in high school that had tripped over their own feet to talk to me. Bright and beautiful, but average. Brooke was different, and somehow still perfect in every way.

From the moment she walked in that classroom in braids and glasses, I knew I wanted to be with her. Even if it meant only being her friend for the rest of my life, I would just admire from the friend-zone as long as I got be in her life at all. It was a privilege to even know Brooke, and I loved Brooke like I'd never loved anyone, and now, my chances were better than ever, because, well, she was having our son.