Chapter 44

Brooke's POV

Before I knew it, we were parked in Tripp's truck down by the lake close to Tripp's house, with my phone connected to the aux cord, and Ed Sheeran coming over the radio. It was well past 3am, and I had never been more wide awake.

Tripp's forced off-key singing had had me laughing so hard for the most part that Luke hadn't gotten much sleep. But Tripp was around, so he probably wouldn't be sleeping regardless... Kicking up a storm.

I propped my bare feet up on the dash and Tripp was leaned back in his seat singing along with a song I was surprised he knew. "Are you sleepy?" He glanced over and ran his thumb over my hand. I shook my head and laughed a little. "Not in the slightest." And Tripp smiled. "Come on, then." And he was out of the truck before I could ask any questions.

"Wha?" I jumped out and he was running down the dock and cannon-balling into the lake. I walked down the dock laughing as he did the backstroke away from me. It was dark besides one streetlight and the moon, and there was no way he would get me that water...

"Jump in," He smiled, and I shook my head. "Not a chance." And he shrugged, flipping over and disappearing underneath the water. The good thing about October in Georgia is one week it's freezing, and the next it's basically September. He's lucky this was a September-October-night or his butt would be frozen.

"Mmm, this water feels good." He winked and pushed his arms out in front of him to keep himself afloat and I laughed. "Isn't this a little cliche? A couple in love taking a spontaneous late night swim." I turned around with my arms out, for more dramatic emphasis and he laughed, splashing me. "We're in love?" He called as he swam out a little farther.

I rolled my eyes and giggled. "I didn't say that!" I called, using my hands as a megaphone. "Actually, ya did!" He laughed as his large arms cut a path for him back toward me. I sat down on the end of the dock and watched him. Ignoring his muscles tensing and releasing with each stroke forward. I was grateful for the night hiding my blushing cheeks.

I just had to be too drunk to remember...I giggled.

He reached me and reached for my foot but I jerked it back and burst into laughter. "Don't pull me in!" And he joined me in laughter, "Come on!" "I'm pregnant, Tripp!" "Well, I don't see a wheelchair so get in the water." He mimiked my narrowed eyes and heart pounding and all, I let him help me ease into the water just for that smart comment.

Enveloped in the luke-warm water, and Tripp's large hands around my waist. When he saw I was sturdy, he swam away and I was a little unsure of what exactly I could do in my condition. I kicked my legs and with less grace than anything I'd ever done in my life, I began to swim after Tripp.

"This is too hard." I spoke the words but I couldn't help but laugh as I said it. I was too pregnant, and tired, to swim. But mostly pregnant.

He swam over, laughing as well, and I swatted his arm. "You did this to me." I mumbled and he laughed harder as he picked me up and sat me up on the dock. My white dancing dress clung to ever single crevis of my body, and I was infinitely grateful that I had a change of clothes in the truck.

Tripp jumped out of the water and immediately peeled his wet black t-shirt from his body. I turned on my heel and headed for the truck when I realized my mouth was open.

Like I've said before, I'd never been one of those boy-crazy teenagers, besides the one boy in Texas. But as much as my 15 year old self liked to think so, I didn't love him. I was infatuated. In fact, I'd venture to say that Tripp is the first time I'd ever really been in love.

Yes, that night by the lake, I let myself believe that I was in love. Even if it was a lie.

When we got back to the truck, I stood beside it, changing back into my jeans and t-shirt from work, before jumping in the cab and cranking the heat up.
A Tripp clad in wet jeans---only, joined me moments later.

"You have to tell me now." Surely he didn't think I would let him slide telling me how he learned to dance and speak like that.

He smiled and laid his head against the headrest, while I sat ringing my hair out into the wet dress. "Before my dad died, he taught Spanish dancing. My mom has her roots, ya know. And every Friday night for most of my childhood, he would take me to Bailar, and that was our thing. When the cancer beat him, I kept going, just not as much.

It wasn't as much fun going without him, but I felt like taking somebody else would be replacing him or something." He sighed and ran his hand over his wet hair.

I was unsure of what to say, but surprised at how well I understood what he meant.

"Then the night that I first took you there, I didn't feel guilty. It felt nice to share it with someone again. I love it because its like keeping something that he loved alive. A part of him maybe, I dunno." He smiled over at me and I gave him a weak smile back.

"Plus...my dad would've loved you." He finished, and I felt my breath hitch in my throat. My dad would've loved Tripp, too.

Before I could think about it, I grabbed Tripp's hand and put it over my belly. As if in response, Luke kicked Tripp's hand repeatedly. Tripp's face lit up in amazement and he began to laugh. "I felt him!" and Tripp looked like a kid for a moment. I wasn't sure what to make of that moment, or that whole night for that matter, but I was sure that years later, I would look back on it and smile.

No matter what became of life.