Chapter 25

Tripp's POV

I had missed Brooke so much the past few weeks, but I worked all I could to get the money I needed. Brooke was pretty frustrated with the way none of her clothes fit anymore. She said she was about four months along now, and her shirts and jeans were all too snug, but she didn't had enough money to buy the maternity clothes she needed, and she was struggling.

I planned to buy her a good bit of clothes that would last her five more months. With the help of my mother and aunt, we went to the mall and they, with my opinion, picked out some nice dresses that looked a little like the ones she wore before. Some jeans, and anything else she might need.

As we checked out, I was tapping my foot and antsy. Excited to be doing something so special for Brooke. I swiped my debit card, we grabbed all the bags, and walked out of the small boutique.

"You must be pretty crazy about this girl." Aunt Sherry said. I shook my head and couldn't help the smile that formed. My mom giggled, "Tripp has liked Brooke for as long as he's known her."

I felt like a little kid and she was telling my friends I still wasn't potty trained. My cheeks burned and I bit my lip to keep from smiling. They continue to giggle and I press the button on my key ring to unlock my Aunt's SUV. "That's enough." I simply said as I got in and turned the key into the ignition.

"Is Brooke still coming to stay with us this weekend?" Aunt Sherry asked, her voice full of hope. I nodded, happy to give her the answer she wanted.

Aunt Sherry was my father's oldest sister, and I stayed in her lap the whole time at my father's funeral. My face buried in her shoulder and arms around her waist.

Brooke had agreed to stay at my Uncle Todd's farm all weekend with me. Well, with my family. But I would be there. I liked to think she was coming to spend the weekend with me, but I knew that probably wasn't true.

I planned to have the clothes waiting for her at her work when she got back next week. Even if I had to leave the farm early.

I could almost picture the look on her face when she saw it all. She would flip her lid. And I would swoop in, the knight in shining armor and take all the hugs of gratefulness she had to offer.

I laughed at myself and reminded myself that I was doing it it to make her happy, not me. But the idea of getting said hugs of gratefulness made it even better.

______________________________________________________________

Brooke POV

"This was delicious, thank you, Clint." I patted the sides of my mouth with a napkin as I thanked Clint for the meal he cooked. He doesn't eat fast food, so he was a fantastic cook. I had learned a lot about him in the time we'd spent together the past couple weeks, and he was always easy to talk to.

A vegetarian that plays golf in his spare time, has a Labrador named Bradley, and plans to run for Brunswick County Mayor, following in his Uncle's footsteps, as soon as he can.

He gave me a smile, "Thank you for thanking me." He winked and tossed the hand towel over his shoulder after he wiped the counters down with it. He made a delicious vegan pasta, and meatless sauce. I had always found the eating habits of a vegetarian to be a bit obscure, but I was willing to give it a try.

After all, I was dating a vegetarian. We were dating, weren't we?

I helped him wash up the dishes we used, as well as the pots he cooked in, and something caught my eye on the arm of the couch. Tripp's jacket laid across it, and I couldn't help the feelings that rose up in me. I shoved them back down and placed the dishes back into the cabinet.

I always used plastic or paper bowls, but Clint didn't believe in that. He was totally "green" and didn't use disposable cups, utensils, plates, or bowls. Talked for a while about how it was bad for the environment.

I nodded and gave his theory a chance, all the while wondering what it would have been like to grow up so spoiled that saving money and cutting corners never applied to you.

A knock at the door brought me out of my thoughts, and Clint was at the door and opening it before I could even move. My heart sunk when I saw Tripp standing on the other side.