Chapter 19

After Tripp left, I sat against the door and cried until I could no longer catch my breath.

My eyes were hurting, and my whole body was hurting. I felt terrible and went to take a shower.

Nothing going on in my head made sense. As the hot water cascaded over my body, I tried to breathe slowly and relax, but I didn't want to be alone.

When I got out of the shower, I looked at the time on my phone and realized I had sat and cried by the door for 3 hours.

Betrayed by my own mother. I caught myself wondering if she was treating Paige the same way. No matter what we were both going through, we were sisters.

I picked up my phone and dialed her number. She didn't answer, but I listened to her voice mail all the way through just to hear her voice before I hung up.

I dressed in old jeans and a lose T-shirt. Masking the small bump that was causing me so much heartache.

I knew what I was thinking wasn't what I should do, but I got in my car, and drove to Tripp's house at a quarter til 11 at night.

When I arrived, I lightly tapped on the door and within moments a sleepy-eyed Tripp opened the door.

The sight if me seemed to wake him right up, and he quickly ushered me in. Thunder was already starting to boom in the distance, and I dropped my purse to the floor.

I felt so emotionally and physically weak. Tripp walked to the kitchen and got me a glass of water, he was so calm, like he was expecting me to come.

Tripp's presence was so calming. So familiar. I blamed it on the hormones that I was thinking like I was.

That I was noticing his toned torso, tan and lean. An apparent six pack flexing as he knelt down to get the remote from underneath the couch. I shook my head and went to sit down beside him on the couch. It's Tripp, I'm being ridiculous.

We watched a few episodes of a show about bearded rednecks, and I didn't feel so bad after laughing quietly with him for two episodes.

A little past midnight and I went to grab a poptart. He past me with a glass of milk and I turned around just in time to bump him and cause him to spill it all over me. That's my exact luck lately.

We both gasped, but it was so late that we just laughed. "Come on, I'll get you another shirt to wear. I'm sorry." He chuckled and lead me to his room where he grabbed one of his black t-shirts and tossed it to me.

He turned around as I quickly slipped my wet shirt off, and pulled his over my head. I pulled my hair out of the back and turned to walk out of the room. As I went to pass him, he didn't move. He didn't have to say anything.

We stayed that way for a few moments, his brown eyes were sleepy, but full of something I couldn't quite place. He leaned in, and as much as my subconscious screamed at me to move away, I couldn't.

Thunder boomed and startled me. I jumped and moved away. "No," was all he muttered before pulling me back to him and pressing his lips against mine. My heart was pounding, and it felt more right than it felt wrong. So familiar.

The passion behind the way he separated our lips only to have them crash together once again in a soft, moist embrace.

Everything I was feeling, all the turmoil and pain, was washed away under the waves of Tripp's kiss.

I don't know how long it lasted. I don't remember. But it felt so much like home. So right.

After the kiss ended and we finally pulled away, I pinched my lips together and straightened my..Tripp's shirt. "I'm tired." I say. he sighs and rubs a hand over his messy hair. "You can have my bed. Excuse the mess." He gives me half a smile and walks toward the couch.

I wasn't in Tripp's bed long before I dragged a blanket to the couch and curled up beside Tripp.

This was a terrible idea. But I was too hurt. In too much shock to think about anything besides my mothers betrayel, and how Tripp's lips took the pain away for a few seconds.

Like a temporary high.

Tripp's POV

I never thought I would wake up like this. Brooke was curled up beside me and a messy rat of blonde hair was in my face, tickling my nose.

I brushed it down with my hand and gave her shoulder a squeeze, careful not to wake her. I would lay here until she woke up.

It was 5:45 and she didn't have to be at work until 8, so I would let her rest. Yesterday was such a bad day for her. I can't even imagine if I were dealing with the same things in life that she was.

Then the vivid memories of the kiss made my heart speed up. The way her blue eyes widened a little when I first melted my lips against hers, but then the way she relaxed into me and rested her arms against my chest. I had dreamed of that moment for so long that it felt like a dream.

Waking up like this reminded me that it wasn't.

She stirred and turned over, burying her face into my chest. Her eyes were still puffy from all the crying she did the day before.

I wrapped my arms tightly aroundbher small body and tried to surpress the guilt I felt for taking advantage of her need for familiarity and closeness.

I could only pray she wouldn't wake up angry with me.