Chapter 24

Carol let me take my lunch break a little early and Clint offered to take me to a local Italian restaurant that I usually wouldn't go to because it was too expensive.

When we walked in, I was suddenly glad I had tried to dress up at least a little today. I wore khaki pants, unbuttoned at the top as usual, and a white button-down blouse that was a little too long. Still way out of place, but not as bad as sweats.

My mind was still fogged with thoughts of Tripp last night, and I was having a hard time focusing in on what Clint was saying. But he pulled my chair out for me at our table and I took my seat.

He ordered us both the same thing and folded his arms up on the table. I noticed how well-built he was exactly when he would talk with his hands, which I usually find annoying, but he's so cute when he does it. His smile is bright, and he appears even more tan from underneath his white button-down. The sleeves were rolled up over his elbows, and he wore blue shorts. I had to admit that the preppy style looked really good on him. And from the way he didn't even check the prices before he ordered, it wasn't just a fashion statement.

"So tell me about your family." I said as I slid a straw into my water and sipped.

"Well, my dad owns Brunswick Country Club right outside Gracetown. My mother helps him run it, but she's always been a stay at home as long as I could remember. I have a sister, and two brothers. They all work for my father. We're a pretty close family."

He smiled when he spoke of his family, and I was quite impressed by his background. He was nicer than most people were that had everything handed to them, and far more down to earth.

I nodded and raised my eyebrows. "Well, I'm originally from Texas. We moved to Gracetown when I was fifteen."

"That's a long way from home. Something for your dad's job I assume?"

I shook my head. "He actually died in a car accident, and mother moved here for some new writing opportunities and to get a new start in a small town." I disconnected as I said the words, to keep myself from crying.

He leaned forward and spoke softly, "I'm so sorry." His blue eyes looked genuinely concerned and I smiled, shaking my head again. "It's okay, really. It's been almost four years." But it still hurt just as bad.

He cleared his throat and began giving me details about the party he had invited me to. It was technically his younger sister's 18th birthday party, and they'd be playing golf at Brunswick. He promised me that I would enjoy it, and that it was still three weeks away. I nodded and the food finally arrived.

We ate, and talked about anything you could imagine, but in the moments of silence, my thoughts still drifted to the nappy haired photographer in my apartment last night.

"Do you know what your baby is yet?" He broke me from the thoughts I shouldn't even have, and I smiled. "He's a boy." I pushed my leftover Alfredo around on my plate.

"What will his name be?"

"Luke." I smile at the name. It was like I knew him already.

"Luke... You'll make a great mom. You seem like a very nice girl."

I chuckle a little. "How do you know I'm nice? You've only met me twice."

He nodded. "Touche. But you kept him. That makes you nice, to at least him."

I laughed a little and glanced at my watch and realized I needed to be back at work. "This was delicious, but I should get back."I stand and go to put my purse over my shoulder but he takes it from me. He gives me a smile and holds the door open for me. He helps me in the car and hands me my purse.