Chapter 18

I was already feeling the tension headache working its way up my neck as I waited outside for Tripp. How could my mother do that? She led me to believe it would be just she and I. She knew what she was doing by not telling me Brian would be there.

I said everything I had to say to him at the cafe last week, and apparently he didn't hear me. I guess I must've stuttered.

Tripp must've sped all the way, because it only took him 15 minutes.

He stepped out of the car in his suit. My eyes must've bugged out my head. I'd never seen Tripp in a suit. He straightened his tie and approached me in that steady way that he walks. "I wasn't expecting that." I speak, but he doesn't. Instead, he places his hand on the small of my back and leads me inside.

His grey tie matches my shirt, and I'm sure we appear as a couple to everyone in the restaurant; a classy, elegant couple. But my mind is too scattered to think too much on that. My mother sits under Brian's arm in a large booth, he whispers something in her ear that makes her smile.

My heart is banging against my chest so much so that i feel weak, and lean into Tripp as we approach the table. My mother plasters the fakes smile I've ever seen over her face when she see's Tripp and I.

We sit down across from them, and Brian doesn't bother to knock off the PDA. What a giant monkey butt.

"I wasn't aware Tripp would be coming with you." I can hear the disgust in her voice, but before I can respond, Tripp speaks up. "Well, when she got here and saw Brian she felt silly that she didn't bring someone along to the double date, so she gave me a call." He smiles back at her.

I'm sure my face is priceless, but I've never seen this side of Tripp. So outspoken and sarcastic. Maybe he's finally had it with my mother upsetting me constantly.

Brian shoots Tripp a glare, Tripp notices, but doesn't move his eyes from Brian. I sit and watch the stare-down between the two men.

"Can I get you something to drink?" The waitress asks. "We'll have two waters." Tripp softly answers the young girl, never taking his eyes off of Brian's.

The smuggest grin spreads across Tripp's face as the man finally takes a deep breath and glances down at his wristwatch.

"Look, Brooke, your mother and I just want whats best for you." Brian's words spark something inside of me that I should be used to by now. He just plain ticks me off. I had a father.

"Brian knows a couple, the husband works in one of Brian's banks. They've been trying to have children for years, to no avail, and we told them about you." I'm not sure I follow her, until Tripp speaks up. "You didn't even ask Brooke first?" My mother shoots him a warning glare and continued speaking directly to me. "Would you two be interested in adopting the baby out to them?"

Her words cause me to choke on the water I just sipped. "Excuse me?" My teeth are chattering and my hands are shaking, but I'm not cold. I'm angry. Desperately trying to control myself before I yell at her in the quiet restaurant.

"This is none of your business." My voice breaks as I try to speak calmly, but still louder than I intended.

Brian leans forward on his forearms and speaks quietly. "Brooke, we can't help you until you tell us the truth."

I slam my palms down on the table and everyone jumps. "I have told you the truth, mother. I don't remember getting pregnant. I was drunk." I speak firmly, still trying to control my anger.

She scoffs and sips her water. "Brooke, you're being ridiculous." She glances between Tripp and I. "Is it someone you're trying to protect? Were you raped?"

The tears are stinging and a noise between a laugh and a sob comes out and Tripp clears his throat. He slides out of the booth and lightly grips my elbow, pulling me along with him. Tense and I can tell he's angry. He's always been better than me at controling his emotions.

Tripp's POV

As soon as we get out of the restaurant, Leanne bursts out the door behind us. "What am I supposed to tell this couple that are expecting to get a baby?" Brooke flinches as if the words actually cut her, and I've reached my boiling point. "Tell them that you're a lying, manipulitive, controling witch that's trying to convince her daughter to give up her grandchild."

Leanne looks taken aback, but still manages a scoff. "You'll never be able to raise that baby on your own, Brooke. You're 18 years old, and plain selfish. What kind of life can you offer a child? A bastard child is all it will ever be. Children shouldn't be raised without a father." Even I'm a little surprised by Leanne's harsh words, but Brooke is composing herself, cranking her car, and turning the radio up over her mothers voice.

I lean down into Brooke's window and wince at the sight of her puffy, bloodshot blue eyes, and tear-stained cheeks. She has never done anything to deserve this.

"I'll follow you home, it's late." I offer, and she nods.

Someone knows what happened at that party that night, and I'm going to find out who.

I follow Brooke back to her apartment, and get out in time to open her car door for her. The walk up the side walk and to her door is quiet, until we reach her door and she breaks out in sobs.

I pull her small body into my arms and run my hand over her hair. "She's right." Her voice is so soft and defeated. I cup her face in my hands and wipe her tears with my thumbs. "No, no, no. She isn't. You'll be a wonderful mother. And we'll find out who it was. I will. I'll fix all of this." I promise, hoping that I can. Willing to go to the ends of the earth to at least try.

The way her innocent blue eyes look at me, I want so badly to kiss her, and i know she would let me after the cookout. But I know I can't take advantage of her vulnerability right now, so I release her.

She nods and walks inside after thanking me for coming, apologizing for the drama, and saying she'll talk to me later.