49

I think the sexiest thing about Brooke, was that she didn't think she was. She was so down to earth, and so sweet, and before Luke she was shy, that she had no idea how sexy she actually was.

And right now, as I watched her sitting on the floor playing with Socks while she was supposed to be getting dressed, she was sexiest. She was wearing my t-shirt, and it strained against her belly. Her hair was in a messy bun on top of her head, it had gotten really long. She didn't have any make-up on, and the weight she had put on in the pregnancy looked incredible on her. The woman was breathtaking and she had no idea.

She sat with her legs crossed, and Socks rolled around in the floor in front of her, making her giggle.

Her tummy was much bigger now. When we stayed at Uncle Todd's, it was noticeable, but now it was prominent. And beautiful. I never could've dreamed, eve in my wildest dreams, that someone so beautiful would be carrying my child. It made me grow up in ways, but in other ways I was still terrified that Brooke would change her mind about...all of it. We weren't married. She had no obligation to me.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and coughed. Brooke looked up from Socks and smiled at me. Her big dimpled smile warmed me to my core and I walked over, helping her up. "You're most beautiful in the mornings." I said it, and I meant it, as I put a soft kiss on her cheek. She rolled her eyes and walked away.

I walked in her bedroom and leaned against the door frame, watching her go through her closet. I glanced at the bed, messy just the way we'd left it, and images from the night before replayed in my mind. "What?" Brooke smiled, interrupting my thoughts, and I shook my head. "Nothing." I denied any thoughts of what happened, and left the room for her to get ready.

"Wanna go for a run?" She walked out of her bedroom in sweat pants and a snug tshirt, her hair thrown in into a ponytail, and sneakers. I smiled back as I took her in. "Sure, let me grab my clothes."

I grabbed my jeans and t-shirt off the floor beside Brooke's bed and stopped to glance at the wad of sheets again. This time I was sober, and wouldn't be forgetting that any time soon. She was amazing, and so beautiful. So very beautiful. And I loved her so much.

I smiled and turned off the light.

Brooke's POV

I got a whiff of him as he walked past him to get his clothes off the floor beside the bed, and I stopped myself from reaching out to touch his broad chest again. And this time I was sober, and wouldn't soon be forgetting it.

"Ready." He appeared again from my room and nuzzled my hair on his way by, kissing my head once more. It felt so right. So very right, as we shrugged into jackets and headed out the door.

Tripp drove us to the local park, and the cool, crisp mid-October air met us with a gust of wind as we started down the walking track early Sunday morning. Luke was as happy and bouncy as ever, and I felt as if things were really looking up. This could possibly work for Tripp and I, Paige was clean. A little strange, but clean, and hadn't pointed a gun at me in a while, I giggled to myself, and I had the greatest job. I was surrounded by people who cared for me. Things couldn't be much better than they were at the moment.

I tightened my ponytail, and smiled over at Tripp as we walked, enjoying the clean air. "Will you go to Uncle Todd's house with me for Thanksgiving? They always have a large dinner." Tripp brought me back, and I thought for a moment. As opposed to what? My mother? She no doubt wouldn't be inviting me anywhere. Paige either. "I'd like that." I smiled, meaning it.

For the first time in a while, I felt like everything was in place. The only thing missing was home. Texas. Oh how I missed it. All of the pain the past few months, made me wish I could pack my bags and run back to Texas. Back to my extended family. I missed my cousins. "Watcha thinkin' 'bout?" Tripp bumped me with his hips, and I smiled. "Texas. I miss it." I sighed, stretching my arm out and grabbing Tripp's hand, interlacing our fingers and squeezing.

"You should go visit." He suggested cautiously. I looked over when I felt his eyes on me, and suddenly I felt shy. I released his hand and pushed some hair behind my hair in a nervous habit. I could tell he was nervous I would go back home, and I couldn't guarantee him I wouldn't, I wanted to, and I wanted Luke to know and love Texas the way I do.

"Come on, we'll go get coffee. I know a good place." Tripp pulled me back to his side and winked, knowing I would know he was referring to Gracetown Cafe.

A few minutes later, with the heat blasting, we pulled into an empty parking space out the cafe, and ran inside before the cold had a chance to catch us. Carol smiled when she saw me and I walked over, giving her a tight hug. "We went for a walk and came to get some of the best coffee ever to warm up." I rubbed my hands together and she nodded, walking over to the machines.

It felt just waiting on the other side of the counter, but I strangely enjoyed it. Finally she handed me to cups and I gave her some money.

"Did you still wanna go visit Uncle Todd's farm for a while? Just to relax?" Tripp glanced at me over his coffee cup as he turned it up. I mulled it over, "The baby shower is Monday."

"We could go Tuesday and stay overnight. Like a little vacation." I had missed so much school already, I really shouldn't, but my spontaneous side told me to go, and before I could stop myself I nodded, "Okay."