Chapter 42

(There was a big misunderstanding, and my 42nd chapter was lost. For those of you that read it before it was deleted, forgive me if this isn't exact. I'm having to write it again by memory.)

Brooke's POV

Three months ago, the OB/GYN's office seemed so much more intimidating. I was alone and scared. However today, Paige was with me. And even though she had no option, she was pretty happy to tag along.

Paige and I were the only ones in the small waiting room today, and only the soft talking of a health nutritionist on the TV kept the room from being completely silent. I glanced at my watch and it read 4:25. They closed in 35 minutes, which would explain the lack of patients.

Women's brains have this insane ability to think about every single thing going wrong in life, all at once. Sometimes it's okay, because I can think 'i'd like to run away,' but then at the same time the other side of my amazing woman brain says, 'that's not a good idea' and so I always have some logic on my side, keeping me from making horrible decisions. However lately, all it did was keep me from sleeping.

"So are you going to tell me what happened the other night?" I glanced up from my belly to see a small smirk at the corner of Paige's mouth, but her eyes remained on the TV.

"What's that little smirk supposed to mean?" I suddenly felt defensive, but unable to hide the smile on my face. Her earrings were too big, lipstick too bright, eyes heavily lined, shirt too low, and her shorts were too short. She looked like she could use a pimp. I laughed a little at the idea at first, but stopped when I realized I didn't know if it was true or not.

Finally, she turned to me. "It means exactly what you think it means. And that's why you avoided my question by answering it with another question." She winked and I rolled my eyes, trying my best not to smile at the memory of holding Tripp's hand across the table, and the playful flirting.

"Mmhm. That's what I thought." Paige folded her arms, pushing her chest up further. I shook my head just as the door opened and the same 'bubbly' nurse from last time called my last name. As if someone else would stand up...we were the only ones in the waiting room! People like her irk me. Is your life so miserable that you can't even crack a smile? I was eighteen, pregnant, thrown out of my home, and living on my friend's couch last time I was here, and still managed to smile at her.

We followed her down the hall and into a small examination room, and she asked me general questions, took my blood, and then she stuck my file in a hanging basket on the front of the door and in a monotone voice promised that the doctor would be in shortly. "Well she's a ray of sunshine." Paige said once the door closed, and slumped into the chair for the guests by the door and began examining her cuticles.

I giggled a little, "I know right?"

I didn't go to my afternoon classes today, but I still had to work tonight. Which didn't sound like fun, but hey, it beat sitting at home over thinking. I could make coffee for truck drivers and over think instead. Better than over thinking alone in an apartment, right?

In all seriousness, I was lucky to have such a good boss. She had become like my second mother, since my first one decided to go mad.

Finally, there was a tap on the door and the doctor stepped in. Paige immediately sat up straight and if I'm not mistaken, I thought I saw a little bit of drool on the corner of her bright red lips. "Hi, I'm doctor Maynor." He smiled a bright, warm smile and extended his hand out to me. He must be new. He was young, couldn't be more than 23. Light blond hair, neatly trimmed, blue eyes, and a jaw that had surely been sculpted by the gods.

And Paige had noticed.

And I wasn't crazy when I noticed he noticed her too. They shook hands. "I'm her sister, Brooke. I mean, Paige. My name is Paige. And I'm her sister. I'm sorry." She chuckled a little and he returned it, holding their handshake a little longer than needed. A smiled spread across my face, when I realized I was witnessing history in the making.

He asked me questions, gave me the (good) results of my blood test, and sent me off with a clean bill of health. Told me expect Luke around the second week of February, and to enjoy the rest of my evening. I hopped down off of the table, and left the two of them to ogle at one another while I over thought what I would wear dancing with Tripp since I had been bribed into going once again.

At least this time I knew was I was getting myself into.

Paige's POV

Holy.

Schnitzel.I caught one last glance at the doc as I stood and followed Brooke out of the room.

"Miss. Greenburg?" I kept walking when Brooke turned to answer him, and then he spoke again.

"Erm...Miss. Paige?" I stopped and Brooke then passed me, smiling brightly.

I was suddenly self-conscious of what he had demanded I wear for tonight. He was taking me to a paying customer's house that had a...specific taste, and wanted them met. I felt nauseous at the thought, and I wanted out, but I was in too deep. He would kill me. I signed a contract that entailed that I belonged to him.

Doctor Maynor began patting around his long white jacket, until he reached in the right pocket and produced a business card. "Can I give you my number?" He asked nervously. I smiled and responded, "I'm not pregnant." And he chuckled. "I know. I thought maybe I could take you to dinner some time. You're very beautiful." He turned a deep shade of red as if the last line was supposed to remain a thought.

"I'd like that." I nodded and stuck his card in the back pocket of my shorts.

"Me too. It's always to have a nice talk with a lady that doesn't involve her vagina." As soon as the words left his mouth a horrified expression came over his face. I couldn't help the sudden outburst of laughter that came out of my mouth. "I'm sorry, I-" "No, don't be." I tried to compose myself. "Thank you. I'm flattered."

And I really am, but a man as nice as Doctor Maynor didn't need to be involved with a woman like me. I'm nothing more than a pimped out crack whore that didn't deserve anyone. I was doing good to keep it together as well as I do around Brooke. I waved goodbye to Doctor Maynor and tossed his card into the small trash can in the waiting room as I passed it.

Tripp's POV

I stood in front of Mrs. Robinson's desk as she flipped through the pictures I had taken of the opening of the new Children's Hospital.

"These are incredible, Mr. Sparks. As usual." She cut her eyes up at me over her reading glasses and smiled. I thanked her and she handed me my folder back.

I was never sure if it was my work she liked, or me. Either way, I got the raise I asked for.

I took the manila envelope from her and walked out of her office. I glanced at the clock and it was fifteen after five. I was late getting off, and headed straight for the door. "Tripp!" I recognized the voice as Charlotte Johnson's and turned to see her bright smile peeking out from around her office door. She waved me to come there, and I did.

"I finished the article, but I thought you'd like to see it first before I turn it in! Like a first look." She winked and took quick, bubbly strides to her computer. I followed her over, taking in how the office had changed. Chuck's sleek, modern decor had been replaced by pink, pink, and more pink. Pictures of her nieces, and her dog.

I skimmed over her article, genuinely impressed by how well she can write. Her personality was contagious, and I couldn't help but smile back at her when I finished reading. "It's very good. Good job." She surprised me by enveloping me in a tight hug, and then grabbed her jacket and purse off her chair. "Wanna grab an early dinner?" She smiled. I thought for a moment and glanced at my watch, I had time. I hadn't planned on taking Brooke out until after her shift that night anyway. Which was five and a half hours from then.

I shrugged and accepted.