Chapter 37

Tripp's POV

I should have stopped four solo cups ago, the cherry vodka sour and beer was getting to me big time, and when I lost my balance on that last sip, I knew I should stop.

Josh called and invited me to the small party at his house, and I was going to decline, but I figured a few drinks would make me forget about her for at least a little while. But I soon realized the more I drank, the clearer the memories got. The louder her laugh was becoming in my head.

The more potent the alcohol, the more potent the pain of her words.

And the pain of seeing her with him. Walking to Paige's car, smiling. He had lied to her face, stolen my limelight, and yet he got another chance. I had stood on a sidewalk in Atlanta and, all dignity aside, begged her to give me a chance, and she rejected me.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and my thumb hovered over her number. Her number was in my phone twice? Heck, I have two phones? I shook my head. I couldn't tell if the loud music was making my head pound, or if that was from the alcohol.

How could she give him another chance? Why would she? Why not me? The alcohol coursing through my veins made me brave, and I dialed her number as I tried to stumble away from the crowd.

She answered and unwelcome tears stung my already burning eyes at the sound of her soft feminine voice. "So are you out with him?" I sniffed back the tears like a little girl. "Is that what you're doing?" The question came out more desperate than I meant for it too.

"Out with who, Tripp? Are you okay?" Her voice. She sounded worried. Which foot was next, right or left? I couldn't remember which one I had moved last, and it was funny. I tripped over my own feet and fell against a chair in the garage. I caught my breath and managed to slur a response. "I'matJosh." But I wasn't sure if that's what I'd actually said or not. I was dizzy.

Suddenly, the line dropped. I wonder how much I drank the night Brooke and I had sex? Had to be more than this. I wish I could remember. How did I even make it up the stairs? I laughed, and then succumbed to blackness.

Brooke's POV

I had to park along the street because the driveway was full. Josh throws parties all the time, even on weeknights apparently. Tripp used to party a lot more before the senior party went awry.

Why would he resort to this again? I wondered as I locked the door to Carly's car and started on the short journey to the very place my world had shattered only five months prior.

Everyone's eyes shifted to me when I entered the garage, and I felt the heat rise in my cheeks. Oh how humiliating this was. Even Luke was throwing a fit in my tummy. Yes, son, this is where you were conceived. Accidentally. By two people with no idea what was going on and weren't even in love. I felt even worse, and this only confirmed to me just how far away from this town I wanted to get.

I hung my head and protectively wrapped my arms around myself and walked through the crowd, looking for Tripp.

There he is. Slumped over in a white lawn chair against the garage wall. I quickly walked over, anxious as ever to get out of there, I shook his shoulder and tugged on his arm. "Tripp. Come on, we have to go." He stirred and began laughing. I shook my head and tugged harder on his arm. "Tripp seriously. Get your drunk butt to the car." I said more to myself than to him, unsure of how I would support most of his weight on my own all the way back to Carly's car.

He stood and continued his giggling fit. "Hey girl." He dragged the words out and I couldn't help but laugh. He draped an arm over my shoulders and we stumbled together out of the garage.

My face was a flaming red from all the stares I was receiving. This looked so wrong. The flyers, and now me coming to Tripp's rescue. The music stopped, and I heard a familiar snickering coming from behind me.

"Aww, look everyone! Brooke came to get her baby daddy and take him home." Chelsea said, loud enough for everyone to hear. Some people laughed, and suddenly, I saw red.

I turned, and with a drunk Tripp draped over my shoulders, I narrowed my eyes at her, then replied just as boldly, "Chelsea, I feel sorry for you. My life might not be going the way I thought it would, but at least I'll have a beautiful son to show for it. All you'll have is your booze and your next high."

Everyone clapped for me and 'ooh'd in my favor as I turned and continued helping Tripp to the car. He wasn't passed out, just very out of it. He struggled with his seat belt before I finally pitied him enough to lean over the console and buckle him in. When it was fastened properly, I cranked the car and started toward his house.

It was quiet for a while before he spoke. His voice raspy and deeper than usual. "Why him, ya know?" He sounded like he might start to cry and my chest tightened when I remembered him telling me on the phone that he'd seen us together. He must have driven by the campus.

"We'll talk about it when you're sober." I sighed. He groaned and laid his head against the window. Eventually, we arived at his house and I got out and walked to the other side, helping him from the car. "Come on, Tripp. You're twice my size." I laughed as he snaked his arm around my shoulders, allowing me to help him into the house.

He fell onto his bed and I pulled his blanket up around him. "Why would you do something so stupid?" I asked quietly as he sunk into a deep drunk slumber. I watched him sleep for a while, until it became too much. I glanced at my watch and it read almost 1am. Paige was probably wondering where I was.

I turned to walk out and felt Tripp grasp my wrist. He mumbled something, and I tried to pull away but he squeezed tighter, tugging me toward him. He stirred feverishly and tugged harder, and my subconscious was yelling at me to leave, but my ball and chain had been MIA all night, so I reluctantly walked over and laid down beside him. He wrapped his arm around my torso right above Luke, and pulled me in close, until my back was flush against his front.

I sighed in defeat and finally relaxed into his embrace. "You know, Brookie," He spoke grogily, "I really love you." He planted a drunk kiss against the back of my head and drifts back into his blissful sleep, his soft breathing trailing down my neck..

I was take aback by his admission, and even though he'd tiptoed around using those actual three words for the past few months, it wasn't the same as actually hearing them. I was more confused now, and distancing myself from this boy was becoming near impossible. Especially with the way Luke immediately relaxed and went to sleep when I laid down beside Tripp.

He knows his father.