14

It felt strange the next day getting up and going to work without Tripp. The car ride was quiet until I turned on the radio, and I have to admit I missed laughing and talking with Tripp before a long day dealing with rude customers.

I arrived ten minutes before opening, and unlocked the shop. I flipped on the neon 'OPEN' sign in the window, and then helped myself to a cup of coffee. Of course my co-worker Carly wasn't there yet, she was always late.

I put on my favorite dress that morning, savoring it before I wouldn't be able to fit into it anymore. It was mint green, lace, and rested right above my knee. I paired it with a blush pink cardigan, and felt pretty for the first time since I found out about the baby.

My clothes had matched my mood the past couple months, but I was feeling a little better about everything at this point. I had a car, and this afternoon I might have an apartment. I made plenty of money right now to support myself.

Nine dollars and some change an hour was plenty to cover rent on an apartment the right size for myself and...the baby, when it was born. And the rest was a bridge I would cross when I got to it.

I took a deep breath and tossed my empty cup into the trash. Customers began to pour in only 10 minutes after we opened at seven. Carol came in the door and greeted me a wide smile and a wave. "How's it going?" She was giddier than usual.

Customers were impatient as ever, and Carly finally came dragging in around eight-thirty. I just shook my head and made so many coffees, frappes, and mochas that I lost count.

"That'll be $3.60." I tell a young girl with a smile and she trades me a five dollar bill for her coffee and tells me to keep the change as a tip. I smiled at the small kind gesture. If only people knew how much little things like that meant to me lately.

"What can I get for you?" I asked in my usual professional tone, before I looked up to see Brian standing in front of me in his monkey suit. He must own a thousand. I'd never seen the same one twice.

"Hi." He said. "I heard about your...pregnancy. Congratulations."

I granted him a half smile and nodded, urging him to order. There was a line of people behind him. "Can we talk?" He asked. I rolled my eyes and asked Carly to take over so I could go have a heart-to-heart with Fabio.

We walked over to one of the small tables and he was quiet until I cleared my throat with irritation. "Do you want to sit down?" He asked. I placed my hands on my hips and shook my head. "What is it, Brian?"

"Your mother has been very upset since your little episode." He began, and I know my eyes just popped out of their sockets.

"This isn't worth losing your relationship with your mother. You should tell her the truth." His voice was soft as he raked a hand through his mostly-salt salt and pepper hair.

My mouth was open, and I felt like he had just knocked the wind out of me. He could have slapped me square in the face and I would be less shocked than I was right then. Who does he think he is? She told him I lied? The only thing I can manage to get out of my mouth is, "You need to mind your own business."

He looks taken aback by my words, but I finally gain enough mental stamina to continue. "Me and my child are none of your business, and my relationship with my mother is none of your business."

"I'm only looking out for your mother." He interjects and I hold up a hand to silence him. "Unless you came here to buy coffee, I'm going to ask that you leave." I try to remain as calm as possible but he is making that very difficult, as usual.

He goes to speak, but I guess something about the way my nostrils were flaring and my breathing was uneven must've let him know it was a bad idea because he stopped, nodded, and left.

When I finally got my wits about me, I began to cry. I wasn't sure if it was from the adrenaline high I was just on, cause I was ready to body slam him into a table, and I pretty sure I could've, or maybe just hormones, but in a moments time, Carol was at my side with an arm around me.

After a minute or two, I composed myself and apologized. She handed me a napkin from the table and I wiped my tears. I explained to her what was going on and she hugged me again. "Why don't you take tomorrow off?" She suggested. "It's the 4th of July. Do something fun." She gave me a sympathetic smile and I agreed.

The day ended and I finished wiping tables and getting things set up for Carly and Carol the next day since I wouldn't be coming in.

I caught myself waiting for Tripp before realizing I drove myself. I told Carol and Carly goodbye and headed to the apartment complex. The woman was supposed to meet me there at six and it was five-forty-five when I arrived.

The complex was about 5 miles from Gracetown Cafe, and it was a good neighborhood from what I could tell. All the reviews online were good, too.

I stepped out of the car and looked for apartment complex B. I walked up the sidewalk and stopped in front of the second building and saw a heavy-set woman standing in a suit by apartment 625B. She had long dark hair and milk chocolate colored skin. I would guess her to be around forty.

She turned when she heard me coming up the metal stairs and waved. "Hi! Brooke?" It was so nice to hear such a cheerful voice after the day I had. I smiled and nodded. "You must be Yvonne." I shook her hand and she began to show me the first apartment we scheduled to look at. She was supposed to show me three.

The first one was a little too stuffy. All the rooms were painted too dark, and seemed to be right there together, and she can tell right away that I was not a fan, so we move on to the second.

It had laminate hardwood flooring that turned to light colored carpet once you reached the small living room. The kitchen had a bar, and a small balcony extending off the back. The walls weren't white; instead, they were a cheerful shade of yellow, and it seemed like such a sweet place to come home to.

I smiled and nodded when she told me it was only $650.00 a month. Leaving me plenty of money left over each month for utilities, insurance, and other extras.

She handed me the keys and had me sign the contract.

Ms. Yvonne hugged me, which was a bit awkward, and left. Leaving me alone in my new home. It felt so nice to have some freedom. After living in Tripp's room for two and a half months, it felt nice to finally be independent.

Even after that run in with Brian and knowing my mother was lying about me, I still feel like things might end up being okay. For just a moment, I remembered the woman at Tripp's graduation with her toddler son.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad not knowing the baby's father. I could just raise it on my own. Which scared me to death, but still, it could be just the two of us. And sure Tripp would be part of our lives.

I silently prayed that things would just calm down now.