53

Brooke's POV

I woke up in a soft, warm, dark place. And it didn't take me long to realize I was in the same guest room I'd slept in my last visit. I glanced at the side table clock, and it was 9pm. We must've arrived around eight.

I put my feet over the side of the bed and pushed the covers away. As quietly as possible, I opened the door and walked down the hall, down the stairs, and to the second door on the left where Tripp stayed the last time. I softly pushed his door open and saw him sitting on the side of the bed in his boxers. My breath got caught in my throat and I coughed. He smiled and grabbed his black tshirt from the bed and threw it over his head in amusement.

I walked over and sat down beside him and he draped his arm around my shoulders. We sat in silence for a while before Tripp leaned back, pulling me with him, and I cuddled into his side. "It amazing what can change in 6 months." He laughed a little and I joined him, nodding.

"Would you change anything?" I don't know what made me ask the question, aside from I genuinely wanted to know. He sighed and interlaced his fingers with mine, squeezing my hand. "If I had known then what I know now, I would've dragged you to that party faster." He turned to face me and I shook my head, grinning. "You're crazy." I poked his chest, and he shook his head, "And one more thing, I wouldn't have drank. So I could remember it." He winked and I gasped, slapping his arm. He laughed and leaned in, immediately causing my heart rate to accelerate.

His lips crashed into mine and I thought I might explode with the amount of passion coursing through my system at his touch. I pushed my fingers through his hair, and he moved over so quickly that I barely noticed he was now over me as he deepened the kiss, his tongue joining mine in the same gentle caress they had those months ago in the hallway outside his bedroom.

The bittersweet feeling of nostalgia set in; Before I ran back to Texas, I would be sure to pack up all these memories neatly in a little box, and put them in a safe place in my heart. To be sure I would never forget the parts that made me, me. All of me.

Just before his hand slid up my shirt, I stopped him. He quickly drew back and smiled at me. "I love you, Brooke." He spoke softly, and gently kissed my tummy where Like resided for the time being. "And you, too." He laughed a little, and I couldn't help but join him.

We spent the next two hours talking. Reminiscing about the past, and it hit me that I would never in my life find someone that cared for me more than Tripp...and as hard as it was for me to admit it, vice versa.

I tried to imagine what it would be like if I decided to go through with it, you know, go back home.

#

The next day, I woke beneath a heavily sleeping Tripp and giggled, pushing him off as best I could; Just enough to slide away and stand up. I must've fallen asleep while we talked the night before, but I didn't remember it. I laughed at the irony and walked upstairs to my suitcase to get dressed.

I threw on some jeans, and a white T-shirt, and jogged down the stairs after brushing my teeth and hair, to be greeted by the smell of eggs and bacon. My stomach growled as I rounded the staircase, seeing Aunt Sherry dancing to soft Jazz music as it floated through the large kitchen and she dropped a couple more pieces of bacon onto the skillet.

"Hi," I spoke softly and she turned around, lighting up. "Good morning honey!" She wiped her hands on the front of her apron and crossed the kitchen to me, enveloping me in a warm hug as if she'd known me my whole life.

"Can I help?" I followed her back over to the stove and she began telling me where I could find the syrup in the large pantry.

Down the short hallway, through the great room, and to the right, I followed her directions and ended up standing in the middle of a large pantry with light-colored wood wraparound shelves housing oodles of food. I searched for the bottles of syrup and gawked at how beautiful this home was.