10

Tripp's POV

I was feeling so many emotions when I dropped Brooke off at work, and I couldn't make sense of any of them.

I couldn't pick just one to feel. Instead, I was feeling them all at once. I felt like a fool for touching Brooke's hair and making her uncomfortable, I was angry toward the person who dared to touch Brooke when she was vulnerable and defenseless, but I also felt a little jealousy that someone else was Brooke's baby's father.

As I pulled up and parked in Josh's driveway I saw him laying on the ground under his truck. I walked up and nudged his foot with mine. He pulled himself out from under the truck and held his fist in the air but I just look away.

"No fist pound? Ookay. What's up?" He used the back of his hand to wipe the grease off of his forehead but it only made it worse. His grey tank top and jeans were also covered in the oily substance.

I shook my head and tried to reign in my temper before continuing. Before I could speak he sat up. "Did something happen to Brooke?"

"No, she's fine." I paused. "She's pregnant."

Josh's eyes widened. I watched his face for any traces of anything besides surprise. One sign of panic and I'll kill him.

He seemed chill.

"Dude.. are you?-"

"No. Of course not. She doesn't remember having sex. She hasn't slept with anyone."

Josh kind of chuckled and raised a brow at me.

"Bro, knock it off. She's telling the truth. You know me, I'm with her all the time." My voice softened at the end, as I tried to make sense of everything going on in my head, to no avail.

"It happened at that party. Your stupid party that I never should've made her come to." I rubbed my hand over the back of my neck. All other emotions were quickly being pushed aside to make room for the burning anger that was making my head pound.

"Sounds like she didn't think the party was too stupid. Sounds to me like she had fun." His joke did nothing but fuel my anger and next thing I knew, I was yelling.

"Shut up, man. Brooke isn't like that. Stop being a dick and tell me if you saw anyone go in the house after I took her up there."

He stood and wiped his hands on his shirt. "Tripp, chill out. I was just making a little joke."

"An un-called-for joke." I reminded him harshly.

He put his hands up in defense. "There were a ton of people in and out of the house. The only bathroom and the extra drinks and..stuff..was in the house." He tried to hide the fact that he does drugs. I'm not stupid. I know what pot smells like and his truck smells like it half the time.

I bit my lip and turned around, running my hands through my hair in frustration; pacing a few steps away and kicking the grass. Uttering a word my mother would scold me for using.

"I'll call everyone I invited and ask." He offered, but I immediately shook my head. "No, Brooke hasn't said if she wants anyone to know."

"I won't give details. I'll just ask if they saw anyone go up to Chels's room."

I nodded and stalked back to my truck after telling him to call me if he heard anything, and reminding him not to say anything to anyone. Especially not Chelsea. Then the whole state of Georgia would know. I don't know what I had hoped for. Did I want to know who took advantage of Brooke? Maybe even hurt her? I wasn't sure.

I hit my steering wheel repeatedly, just to pop the cap and let a little anger fizzle out the top.

I backed out of Josh's driveway and kicked myself for getting so plastered at that dumb party. If I had been sober, I could've made sure nothing happened to Brooke.

Because of me her whole life was changed. All of her plans, her dreams, they all have to be put on hold.

If I had been sober, I could've driven her home, or maybe kept her from drinking at all.

If I wasn't an idiot, I wouldn't have made her go anyway. She hates parties. Too bad I can't sleep off stupidity.

After I cleaned up my room and got it ready for Brooke, I knew Leanne would be at work, and Brooke needed the rest of her things from her house. So that's where I headed, and when I got there, Paige answered the door.

She looked awful. Black bags under her eyes, a bundle of bruises around her neck, a busted lip, and her hair a mess.

I cleared my throat to try to ease the awkwardness between us and she looked down at the ground. As much as I wanted to ask her what happened and if she was okay, I forced the words back when I thought of how she watched her mother throw her pregnant sister out last night.

And after all Brooke has done and covered up for her.

"I came to pick up some more of Brooke's stuff." I simply said, and after a short pause, she moved over and let me in, shutting the door behind me.

I jogged up to Brooke's room and grabbed another suitcase out of her closet. Similiar to the one she brought the night before, only smaller, and stuffed it with more of her clothes and under garments.

After I grabbed everything I thought she'd need, I started back down the hall toward the door.

I tossed the bag into the front seat of my truck and went back inside the find Paige and tell her I was leaving.

As I went to knock on her door, something caught my eye across the hall outside Leanne's door.

Something standing out against the dark colored carpet.

I quietly walked over and picked it up.

A small baggie of white powder.