Never Trust an Outcast

Hiccup's P.O.V
I sat in the sand of the beach, watching the water roll up onto the shore. To pass the time, I drew Toothless over and over again in the sand. He sat next to me and watched everywhere the tip of the stick went.

Why was it taking Astrid so long?

Given it had only been about an hour and there were quite a few islands around, but it felt like forever. The sun was just beginning to fall. It wasn't sunset, but in and hour or so would be.

I sighed and look at Toothless who still had his eyes on the stick. When he noticed it stopped moving, he looked back up at me and tilted his head. "What's taking them so long, bud?" He crooned in return and nudged the arm with the stick. "You're right, I'm just being impatient like always. They'll be here soon." I looked back at the sky and sighed.

"Hiccup!"

I turned and looked to where the voice was coming from. I knew who the voices belonged to, my mother. I found her running toward me, waving her hand. I stood up and motioned for Toothless to follow me.

"What's wrong?" I asked once she was closer. "You need to come see this." Her face held worry and something else I couldn't quite read. I simply nodded and followed her.

She led me up to the village and back to the house where a group of other villagers were starting to gather. Something about their mumbling and the way they looked at me with concerned eyes made me feel uneasy. I reached out and grabbed my mom's shoulder to stop her. "What's going on?" She opened her mouth to say something, then shut it and shook her head lightly. "I can't say. You just need to see for yourself."

Right as she grabbed my arm to continue walking, a dragon from above called out. As if one cue, everyone turned their head to the sky. A Deadly Nadder came down and landed nearby. It was Astrid. Forgetting about what my mom had to show me for a minute, I ran to Astrid. As I got closer I noticed that (y/n) wasn't with her.

"Where's (y/n)?" I asked as the young blond jumped off her dragon. "I-I'm sorry Hiccup. I looked on ever island, they all said they didn't see her come by. I don't know where she went."

"But I told her to-"

"Hiccup!"

I looked over at my mom again, almost forgetting that she wanted to show me something. "I'm not sure where she went, but her dragon is still here." My brows furrowed a bit trying to understand. She grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the woods. Some villagers here and there were scattered about, turning and looking as I walked by. A low, strained growl came from behind a small group of villagers. I pushed my way through a little and looked down toward what they were seeing.

My eyes widened, and my knees felt a little weak. I had to grab the Viking next to me for support as I took in the scene. Makeshift lay on the ground of the woods, covered in blood. It looked like someone had slashed her throat with a razor sharp blade. Her body had many other cuts, and what looked to be a rope burn.

After taking a minute to catch my breathe and take in everything, I walked around to the front of her and knelt down. Her eyes opened slightly as she looked at who was near her. When she saw it was only me her eyes shut again. Her breathing was shaky, and was coming out in a light wheezing. It pained me to see her like this, then it occurred to me.

"Where's (y/n)?"

Makeshift opened her eyes again and looked straight into my own. Weakly, she turned her head and looked somewhere off in the distance. Her head fell back onto the ground and her eyes shut once again, though she continued to breathe. I leaned down and rested my head on hers, near her ear. "Just hold on, Makeshift. We're going to make you better, I promise." The dragon opened her eyes again. They reflected pain, joy, and death. I got up to leave and walked over to where she had been looking before. Behind me, I heard what sounded like Toothless laying down next to his friend.