17 : Confrontation (2/2)

Zarek threw his roll away as fast as he could and swallowed down the fog, making his eyes water

In the mean time, Evangeline West stepped out of her mother's car and headed towards Zarek. The knot between Eva's auburn eyebrows weren't a good sign.

Still tearing, Zarek maintained a leveled gaze. Zarek didn't care two shits about Eva's opinion of his smoking, or the promise he broke. He just didn't want to poison her virgin lungs. Yes, that was what it was about.

Her determined, hazel eyes were fixed at him, piercing their way through Zarek's barriers. Something stirred deep inside Zarek's dark soul, yet it was too far away and lost, so it wasn't about to resurface any time soon.

Eva walked up to him, her strote was confident and her hazel eyes so determined it distressed Zarek's sexual tension and almost drove him off the edge. She stopped in front of him, her shoulders held high and her chin higher.

She was steering the situation, in control. It was different from her usual innocence, and Zarek loved this side of her.

"Congratulations, Zarek Black." Eva's usual soft voice was close to a hiss than ever before. "You won this round."

So many questions were roaming Zarek's head but he pushed them all aside but one important one. "What are you doing here so late?" he asked, "You should get home, it's not safe,"

She eyed him up and down. "Indeed." Zarek could swear she referred to him, and he couldn't disagree.

"Wow," Alisha bit in desperately, "Looks like someone passed her bedtime." When no one joined in to laugh, Alisha nudged Hunter. Hunter glared at her, and she immediately shut up, eying her cousin with pure envy.

Eva's hazel eyes switched to Alisha for barely a moment, almost feeling sorry for her. Eva's eyes hardened at the sight of Hunter, and she shook her head in disgust, looking back at Zarek.

Zarek suspected she knew about the bet. "What did I do?"

Eva chuckled despite her hostile glare. "You're asking me that?" she said, her hazel eyes wandering away, "God, you made me hate you even more."

"I'm losing my patience here." Zarek hated rotating around the facts. He figured threatening Eva would remind her of what he was capable of, even though Zarek loved how confident Eva was at the moment. "Tell me what I did wrong and you don't have to talk to me again."

"Don't play dumb," Eva spat, "That's why I rejected you in the first place."

Evangeline was pushing it way too far, and Zarek had one of two options; walk out on her, that was if he was able to contain his throbbing fist, or he could mouth her off and lose her for good.