36 : On Fleek No.2

Evangeline thought she had herself under control, accepting her hair loss, but when she stepped in On Fleek Salon and collapsed into muffled sobs, she knew she was very mistaken

Her tearful, hazel eyes scanned the spacious beauty salon, being reminded with the seriousness of the entire situation. It all dumped on her like a bucket of icey water that had her knees shaking. One of the male employees noticed her horrific state and rushed to her.

"Ma'am, are you okay?" He gripped her shoulder, concern in his eyes. Despite him being a complete stranger, he gazed at her as if he knew exactly who she was and what happened to her. "Do you have an appointment?"

Evangeline shook her head no to both questions. The guy nodded his head in complete understanding. "Okay," he said, his eyes looking through his tablet and his hand still on her shoulder. "I think I can squeeze you in. Lauren will be so pissed if she finds out, so fingers crossed on that. Okay, follow me."

She would have cringed away at the stranger's proximity, but somehow she found it to be comforting. Something about his tender touch and somber eyes told Evangeline that Steve - according to his name tag at least - wouldn't hurt her in a million years. With a shameful, bobbed head, Evangeline followed the energetic hairdresser through the beauty salon.

He was holding a tablet that probably held all the appointments, glancing at her and doing crazy hand gestures. "I'll hook you up with Amber, she's the only one free in the morning. Don't worry though, she's one of the best hairdressers we have. Since you don't want to be kicked out because you don't have an appointment and you don't want me fired if Lauren finds out, if anyone asks just say you took Charlize Lexington's appointment. I know, you don't look like a married superstar, but no one will question it since she always misses her appointments - that's so annoying if you ask me, and it wastes a lot of our employees time. I mean why book it if you're not gonna show up. Anyways, here's your seat."

Evangeline found it challenging to keep up with the kind man's blabber, but she picked up the information she needed. She sat where Steve motioned for her and faced the big, illuminated mirror. She didn't want to have another inspect on her horrible hair's condition, so she focused her gaze on the mirror, not on her face but on Steve's skinny figure behind her. Soon after, a very attractive brunette joined them. Eva figured she must be Amber, since that was her reversed name reflected in her name tag.

Her heart-shaped face was very inviting and friendly, Eva thought she looked familiar but she couldn't really pinpoint where she seen her. Besides, it could've been her mind doing tricks on her. Steve leaned over Amber and muttered a few things in her ear. Eva could have sworn he whispered her name among his hushes but that was unlikely, since Evangeline didn't tell him her name - I'm so paranoid, jeez. Amber whispered something back before Steve went on his way.

Before he went though, he bent and touched Eva's shoulder. His touch, just like before, was soft and comforting that it strangely made the uptight Eva want to spill her darkest secrets and confine him to them - he was that approachable. "Hey, don't worry," His gentle voice made Eva want to swoon even in her miserable condition. "Everything will be okay."