60 : He Doesn't Care

Trudy woke up to the annoying sunshine right into her face as usual, only this time it was accompanied with even more annoying noise outside.

For once, she didn't care about all of that because she just had the best sleep she ever had in the longest while with not a single negative thought and no nightmares. She would never admit it out loud but it was all due to Zarek sleeping next to her and providing her the safety and security she had always lacked. She turned around only to find Zarek no where to be found next to her. Did he get weirded out by me and left? She wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

Trudy's ears adjusted to the noise outside, it was the sound of sirens.

Police sirens.

The sound was too familiar, jolting her out of her bed and panicking her fragile heart in the process. She hurried to her window and the blinding red and blue lights were the ugliest proof of what she suspected. Why are they here? She couldn't help herself from asking the question what have I done? since the last time police were at their house was to fetch her and take her into questioning for her relationship with her teacher.

She knew it was so dumb of her, but she wished they got the wrong address.

Just like before, she opened the door and peaked out her big guilty eyes only to be startled with the amount of people in the house. Everyone from police officers to detectives to... This couldn't be for me, it went beyond her. She could make out her dad's angry voice from down the hall as he spoke to one of the detectives.

"I don't understand what happened, just last night it was right here and then this morning it's gone." He took a deep breath, softening his voice. "This painting means so much to me, I don't care whatever it takes, just find it and bring it back. Please."

Painting? Trudy's eyes widened - oh my god, that bastard! After everything she had done for him he still decided to reward her by stabbing her in the back - I even let him sleep on the bed with me instead of the tub like some rabid animal! Yes, he did ask for it kindly last night and she had specifically said no, but that was no pass for him to steal it and run away. Trudy went inside her closet, choosing the best outfit and cacking the most flawless makeup because she needed all the confidence boost she could get if she wanted to confront the devil.

Trudy opened the door and tried to walk as unnoticeable as her clicking six-inch heels allowed her. However, nothing went past the alert detective.

"Ms Green," he called after her, open notebook and pen in his hands, "I just have a few questions to ask - did you notice anything unusual that happened last night?"

Trudy so wasn't in the mood for this old man. "Nope, don't know who took the painting, sorry."

"I didn't say anything about a painting though." He squinted his aged eyes, closing his notebook. "Is there something you're hiding?"

Trudy realized she messed up so she scurried away. "I gotta go, I'll answer all your questions when I come back." Trudy could see the clear suspicion in that detective's eyes, but honestly she didn't care because she was about to find the precious painting herself and do his job for him.

Everything aside though, Trudy was surprised her dad noticed it missing. It wasn't the weekend so he couldn't have figured it out by checking his list of belongings, which meant that he actually admired it and that it wasn't just there for show. That revelation made her father appear less shallow and more wholesome in her eyes.

Trudy sashayed the short walk between her house and the Black mansion, stuffing as much wickedness and bravery as she could. She stopped dead in her tracks when she saw the backstabbing devil sitting on the floor, face pale, and electric eyes so lost as they stared off the distance. It took her a minute to process the situation; it wasn't that she hadn't seen him broken before when she picked him up the night Sanderson's friends were supposed to beat him up, but this was different. He looked soulless and internally dead.

"What's wrong?" Trudy couldn't help herself from asking, and she hated that. You don't care, remember? He certainly didn't, she still hadn't got over how rude he was when she called to thank him after Hunter's party. Trudy flipped her hair, a glare plastered on her snaky eyes.

She picked up a rock from the street and threw it at Zarek. "You asshole! You stole the painting from my house."

He barely flinched or looked at her. "It doesn't matter, it's in the trash. Take it and go."

Her eyes bulged out - trash? She went over to the garbage and sure enough it was there. She picked it up with so much fear of it being damaged. The edges were crumbled and there was a huge footprint in the middle of it. "What have you done?" she whispered, "Dad will be so upset, did you know he called the cops? Aren't you afraid of going to jail?"

Trudy threw another rock at him. "Why did you take it? Did you forget how I picked you up from the side of the street like a rescue dog?"

Zarek's lack of reaction was driving Trudy crazy. For second she really contemplated murder. "Fuck you, you deserve everything that happened to you. You're a filthy soul, you deserve to be dead!"

Zarek kept staring at one spot in front of him - oh my god, he doesn't care, Trudy realized. She took a few steps backwards to go home, "You're such a dick."

Sandra was yet again right, when will Trudy learn? Maybe all what her sister said was right, not just about Zarek but about her middle school affair and how stupid and worthless Trudy was. And to think Zarek and I have been bonding for the past while. Pathetic.