Ch. 1 : The Start

"Hello, beautiful" a man spoke out to me as we got into the elevator. He didn't know who I was. I smiled a fake smile at him and nodded. He clicked the 39th-floor button and I stayed put. "Are you going to that floor?" He asked. I nodded.

"Must be hard working for the boss of this company" he huffed out. "Why do you say?" I asked. "I've heard he's a bitch," he said. I smiled internally. He was right about a bitch, just not on the gender. "Why are you here?" I asked. "Business".

The elevator dung and we stepped out. I watched him walk off to the meeting room I was supposed to be in. What a surprise that man is going to get in a few minutes. I stride towards the meeting room and heard my secretary stand up from her desk and follow after me.

She opened the door and I walked in, holding my head up high. My employees immediately sat up straight as if sensing my presence. I walked to my seat and watched as my secretary sat down.

She opened up her laptop and looked at me as if to say she was ready whenever I was. "When's Ridalfo coming?" A man asked. I stood up and smiled at them. "I'm already here". "Your not Vincent," a chubby man said. I smirked at that and shook my head.

"I've taken over for my father, been a while actually. Tripled the stocking in a year" I said and nodded at my secretary. She stood up and handed everyone seated a folder. They opened it up and read it. "Only 3%," one man said. I nodded. "5%," chubby man said.

I raised an eyebrow at that. "3" I argued. He shook his head. "4. That's all I'll give. I'm exporting 25 million worth today. In a month or so I could be exporting twice as much. I'm giving you the chance to join in right now" I told him slowly.

He seemed to think about it. "Just like your father and mother" he whispered and I smiled. "I do suggest though that you tell your employees to direct to me more respectfully. Wouldn't want to affect our trade or partnership" I warned.

He asked me what I meant by that and I told him my incident in the elevator with Mr. 'Heard he's a bitch'. He nodded and stood up. Everyone followed suit. He walked over to me and extended his hand. I took it and squeezed it firmly. "Pleasure doing business with you Ms. Ridalfo," he said.

"Just call me Naomi," I said and smiled at him. He nodded and I let go of his hand. We all moved to exit the room. "Please redo the contract to 4% Ashley" I ordered my secretary as we headed to my office. "Your parents will be here in an hour," she said as I sat in my seat.

"Why?" I asked and looked at her. "Didn't say. Just told me to clear your schedule during that time" she replied. They had no right to do that. I nodded and watched her exit my office. What could they want? I looked at my computer and got to work on my most recent trade deal. I was engrossed in my work when suddenly my door flew open.

I looked up and blinked a few times before taking in my parents. "Venice Naomi Ridalfo" my father yelled. I raised an eyebrow at that. They stood in front of my desk. "Take a seat," I said. They did. "May I ask what I owe the pleasure to receive your attention?" I asked. My father rolled his eyes while my mother showed me her poker face.

"We heard what happened in Brazil," my mother said. I smiled at her. Yes, I remember now. "You can't just kill people in public" my father grumbled out. I scuffed at that. "No one saw me. Besides, it's not like his life mattered. He was selling information to the DEA, I had to kill him" I huffed out.

"I think your uncle should take hold of the reins," my mother said. I pushed my chair out and stood up. They could not be serious. "No" I protested. "I've built an empire. I am not giving up my power. Besides, you have no right. Your Italian" I yelled at her. "Don't yell at her" my father spit out and stood up facing me. We looked at each other, both holding anger in our eyes.

"Careful Vincent, your not the mafia leader anymore" I threatened. He looked away and sat down. My mother stood up and looked at me. "But I'm still in charge of Mitchell. Watch your game, if I have to give you a lesson to knock some sense into you I will" my mother warned. We stared at each for a while before I gave up. "Fine".

My mother sat down and looked at my father. "This is what I warned you about". "Will you be at the charity?" My mother asked. I nodded and smiled. "Wouldn't miss a chance to talk business?" I said. My father nodded. "How's Victor?" I asked. "Why don't you ask him?" My father asked. I looked away from his face.

"He doesn't answer my calls," I said honestly. "Give him time," my mother said. "It's been a year," I told her and looked at my two parents. "He's about to be signed into La Cosa Nostra" my mother whispered. I looked at her and snickered. "So you didn't want me to join The Bratva but your allowing my brother to join la casa nostra?" I asked.

I fisted my hands up and dug my nails into my palm. I was mad, no I was furious. Furious at her, at my dad for allowing my brother to join. At my brother for choosing them and not me. "Is he taking over?" I asked as calmly as I could. My mother nodded. I stood up and threw what was on my desk to the ground.

"Why?" I shouted. They didn't answer. "Why?" I shouted again and stood up and paced around the office. "Because I don't want him to end up like you" my mother yelled. I stopped in my tracks and turned to face them. My father's jaw clenched up and my mother's eyes turned glossy.

"What?". "I don't want him to turn out like you. Heartless" my mother spoke up. I laughed at that. "I'm a heartless person now?"I asked. "Really?". "You made me like this. I didn't ask to be born into a family like this." I said. I walked towards them and stood in front of my mother. "I didn't ask to be born to a worthless piece of--" I was cut off by a slap. A slap that came from my mother.

I touched my cheek and looked at her and smiled. "Get out," I told her and saw my dad get up from his seat. "Get out" I hissed and saw my mom's face turn into one of regret. My father took hold of my mother's arm and pulled her towards the door. "Tell my brother the alliance you guys had with my uncle doesn't apply to us," I said calmly.

My father and mother stopped in their track and looked at me. I sat in my seat and smiled at them. "You placed the title of heartless on me. That's what you will get. I'll see you at the charity event. Now if you could leave, I have business to attend".

The look on their faces was of disappointment. I could care less at the moment. My blood was boiling and I couldn't think clearly. My temper was my greatest weakness. But it made me, and I couldn't change it.

I knew my second flaw would come into play once I felt guilty. Even if I felt guilty my pride would win, and I would follow through with my plan. I'd be the heartless monster they thought me to be.