Ch. 43 : Bruno

Brunos p.o.v.

I looked at my cousin. I had seen her portray anger, sadness, happiness, but not this. They say the death of a loved one changes people, but this was gut wrenching. She was hitting the place where Hugo had been buried. Her face now resting on her hands. She was crying uncontrollably. She let a scream out that made the hairs on my arms raise.

"I hate you" she yelled and began her attempt to release the anger she felt in her. The men all looked down. Each one of them holding what seemed like a look of sadness. Sadness for her, not exactly towards Hugo or Zander, they hadn't really interacted with them since both mafias joined. They held respect and appreciation towards Naomi. So the pain on their faces was probably for her.

I looked for my father and saw him hugging my uncle. His face held sadness for his daughter. Next to him was my aunt. They seemed to be united once again. Her head resting on his shoulder. Next to her was Victor, and next to Victor was Dominika. They actually looked like a family once again.

I searched for Alessandro, and he was with his family as well. Arabella was next to him, and next to Arabella stood Teresa, who seemed to be sad for Naomi as well. Teresa had changed recently. While we were out of the country, at the safe house, her attitude of stuck up bitch wasn't there, instead she asked if we had heard from Naomi. She was worried.

I looked at Sergei and we both seemed to think the same thing as we walked towards her. We were mourning Zander, but we understood what had to be done. He broke the biggest law for both Mafias. He betrayed family. Ugo seemed to understand it. While he felt sad about his son, he told my father and uncle not to worry. He told Vincent he understood.

We pulled her up from the mud and she hugged us. We hugged her back and she sobbed. "He told me he wouldn't sign the divorce papers. That he wasn't leaving me. And he left me" she whispered. I hugged her tighter. Someone came over to us, I knew it was Carlos once I registered his voice. "A Adira called. Her mother passed away" he whispered. I felt a clench at my heart.

"Adiras mom passed away" I whispered to Sergei. He tensed up. We both knew what that meant. "We can't tell her" Sergei whispered glancing at Naomi. "Naomi we need to head back home" I cooed. She nodded and we began to walk with her. "Take My car" I told Sergei as I asked Naomi for her keys. She handed me them and I helped her in the passenger seat.

I walked around and got in. I turned the car on and watched it turn on in a matter of seconds without protest. I glanced her way. I wanted to ask her about her car but decided not to. This wasn't the time. I pulled out of the spot we were in and drove off. Cars followed behind us, after a few minutes we arrived back at Alessandros house.

I turned the car off and got out, walked around the car and opened the passenger door and helped Naomi out. We walked up the steps and made out way into the house. "I want to go alone" she said and walked to the stairs. I watched her go up and walk down the hallway until she disappeared.

I turned around to see everyone waiting on me. "I want you to go down to Mexico and tell Hugo's men the news" I ordered Carlos and he nodded and walked away. "Rest of you dismissed" I said and the men walked away. "Adiras mom passed way" I said. "Did you tell Naomi?" Victor asked. I shook my head. "No, she already has a lot to deal with" I said.

"Dominika can you run a company?" I asked. She seemed surprised I acknowledged her. "She can" vincent answered for her. "Your gonna substitute for Naomi at her company" I said. She nodded at that. "What about the mafias?" Victor asked. "Alessandro, Vincent" your in charge. I honestly don't know how to run one" I said.

"Victor you already have your own company's to run, don't worry about this" I said. " Arabella I need you to talk to her" I said softly. Arabella had been one of the only people Naomi had talked to after her trauma. Maybe she could talk to her this time as well. Arabella smiled sadly at that. "That's it" I said and they all nodded.

What else did I need handled? I couldn't think of anything honestly. Everyone had left to do what they needed to do, and I stood there still in my spot wondering what needed to be done. "You did well" Sergei said and patted my shoulder. "I feel like I'm missing something" I told him. "I'll go talk to adira" he said. Ah, yup it was that. He smiled at me and then walked away.

A phone rang and I patted my body to look for it. I found it in my left coat pocket and answered it. "Naomi?" A voice asked. "Russ?" I asked back. "Who is this?" He asked. "Naomis cousin" I said. "Wheres Naomi?" He asked. "Look Russ, right now is not the best time to call her" I said and let a groan out.

"What happened?" He asked. "Her husband passed away" I answered and the line was silent. "Call another time" I said and hung up. I walked to the living room and sat down. I set my elbows on my knees and placed my face into my hands. I don't know how she could throw command after command everyday. I was stressed out and I had only played boss for 30 minutes.

"Do you want some coffee?". I looked up and saw Sofia smile at me. "Thank You Sofia" I said as she set a cup of coffee in front of me. She stood there patiently. I took hold of the cup of coffee on the coffee table and took a sip. I hadn't really interacted with sofia much since I didn't grow up in Alessandros house. I was accustomed more to Irina. Both women were alike though, their nationality of no importance.

"Shes a tough one" she said. I chuckled at that. "Yes she is" I said. "Just like her mother" she said. I looked at her once she said that. "Dakota, Maisler, how ever you want to call her. She went through beatings. Getting shot at. Miscarriage" she whispered as if it was something she wasn't supposed to say. "She might have made a mistake that day she left Venice and escaped with Victor" she said and stopped.

"But she regretted it everyday after. She loves Venice, she just doesn't show it. She changed a lot after Venices birth". I listened to her interested. "She felt like Venice wasn't meant for this lifestyle. Thought a girl shouldn't be raised in this type of family. Tried to distance herself, to not get attached because she knew a girl could not survive what was to come". I scrunched my face at that. "That's stupid" I told her. "The day they came back after she had venice. Dakota tried to commit suicide".

I didn't know that. "Then she became pregnant with Victor. Vincent became distant with her. He took his time to raise Venice. He was the mother he thought Dakota should be. That caused them to become bitter towards each other. They slept in different rooms during that time. Until Dakota gave birth. It was a boy. Vincent named Victor the one who would take over for him".

She sat down on the sofa in front of me. "Dakota began to spend time with venice afterwards. She might have thought that it meant venice would get the normal life she had wanted". There was silence. "That didn't last long. A year before the incident, Vincent decided to have a little test. A scenario. He put both to the test. Venice showed talent with it".

"But why would Dakota be so against that?" I asked. Sofia smiled sadly at that. "Dakota didn't want the story to repeat itself. She did everything she could to change the outcome. That day of the incident. Dakota jumped to save Victor. She thought that maybe that was an out for Venice. A quick death". I stood up at that.

"She was going to let her own daughter get slaughtered for her sake?" I asked flabbergasted. "You wouldn't get it". I turned towards the voice. It was Dakota. "You'd do anything to prevent your children from experiencing events like this" she said waving her hands to signal the atmosphere we were in. "The day she was ripped from her innocence was the beginning of her journey into this life. Just look at what followed after" Dakota said.

"At that moment I would have preferred her to have a quick death instead of this slow one she's in" she whispered. "You saw her the day she came back from her test. She came back beat. With her back whipped, her face bruised, a broken wrist" Dakota stated. "Her path hasn't been anything nice since then. Now look at her. Her soul broken, her husband, the man she loved is dead" Dakota said. "And this is just the beginning" she whispered.