Chapter 17: Mental X

Third Person POV

A man covered in shadow stands under a tree while smoking a cigarette, he looks out towards the tall tower that Ozpin calls his office. Outside in front of it is a seemingly ordinary girl named Ruby Rose, with her dark hair tipped with red, and silver eyes. She stands with a protest sign and like the others walking around do not see nor hear the man as he speaks.

Man: "You are traveling through another dimension. A dimension of not only sight and sound, but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination, you are moving into a land of shadow and substance, your next stop, the Twilight Zone."

Ruby: "Beacon is unfair! Ozpin is in there! Sitting in his tower! Plotting  by the hour!" She was standing in front of Beacon Tower holding a protest sign when the rest of her team walked up to her.

Weiss: "There you are, what are you doing?" She asked more annoyed than interested.

Ruby: "Hey guys, not much."

Blake: "What are you protesting?"

Ruby: "Oh this? I asked (F/N) if he wanted to hang out today, but he wanted to talk with Velvet. He asked me if I could do him a favor and protest with this sign."

Blake: "No Fair?" She read the sign.

Ruby: "Yep, something about breaking a wall or something and annoying Ozpin at the same time."

Yang: "Are you really going to spend a Sunday protesting?"

Ruby: "I don't have anything else to do."

Weiss: "Studying, homework, training-"

Ruby: "Like I said, nothing fun to do."

While the girls talked, (F/N) laid in the lounge chair in the room him and Velvet talked in, he was waiting for her to stop by after her teams' practice. He wasn't alone as he waited as Qrow sat in the chair next to him, staring at his flask, and Summer who was standing next to the door.

(F/N): "Do both of you really need to be here?"

Summer: "All of us could join."

Qrow: "Sum, quit it." She crossed her arms and puffed her cheeks.

(F/N): "It'd still be nice if-" The door opened, Velvet walked in. "Hey Velvet."

Velvet: "Hey, you wanted to talk?"

(F/N): "Yeah." He sat up and patted the open spot next to him, she went over and sat down. "I'm sorry I didn't make it to the dance last night."

Velvet: "It's alright, I really enjoyed hearing you sing, I actually didn't know you could."

(F/N): "I used to enjoy it, but that's not why I asked to talk." He placed his hand on hers that was closest to him. "I want to know why you care."

Velvet: "What do you mean?"

(F/N): "Exactly what I said, there is a thought in the back of my mind." He looked at Summer. "It asks me if anyone actually cares, and I want to know the truth. Velvet, do you actually care about me?" Hearing those words stung Velvet's heart, she understood why he would ask such a question but it still hurt to hear him ask.

Velvet: "Do you remember when we first met? It was my first time seeing Beacon, I thought it was going to be great, then that jerk opened his mouth asking why an animal was in Beacon. Next thing anyone knew his face was planted in the ground, and you said to him 'yeah, so what are you doing here?'." She looked over at him and held his hand in both of hers. "(F/N), you're like family to me, so yes, I actually care about you."