Chapter 38: The Journey VII

Third Person POV

Yang woke up in the middle of the day with sunshine peering through her window. Lazily she removed the covers and dragged her body to sit up, her gaze fell almost immediately onto her scroll. She was unsure about what to do, Ruby had stopped messaging her, politely leaving it to Yang to respond when she was ready. Instead, Yang didn't as she couldn't find the words she wanted, nor did she really know what to say. Looking back to the window next to her bed, ever since she was brought home she had hardly left her room. As a result, with each passing day, her hair became more unruly and had turned into a mess. Deciding to finally do something Yang got up and went over to her closet, inspecting inside it she found her uniform and usual clothes.

It was hard for her to see herself smiling as she once did and as such she moved them aside, taking other clothes at random before entering the bathroom for a shower. Hot water ran down her body as she attempted to comb her fingers through her hair. She had grown it out much like Raven's, who she only saw through pictures. It was, to Yang, the only thing she had from her mother, as for her father, Tai didn't like talking about Raven and the only other person that seemed open about talking about her was in another kingdom. Yang hung her head, her hands curled into fists that gripped her hair. Thoughts questioning her past self started to appear asking questioning why she ever wanted anything to do with Raven.

After having stepped out and dried off, Yang, with a fresh pair of clothes on, went downstairs for something to eat. Strangely she couldn't smell anything coming from the kitchen, usually, her dad was awake at this time of day. Even stranger there wasn't any sign of him, the lights were off, the kitchen untouched, no note was seen anywhere. She looked towards the front door, a troubled thought spoke about her father being sick of watching over her and that he had left like her mother. Denying the thought she took out her scroll, which she had grabbed after the shower, nervously she opened the contacts within it and called him. She could hear his scroll ring just outside.

Running over to the door and practically throwing it open she found, laid faced down on the ground, covered in injuries, her father. She rushed over, rolled him over to witness his bruised hands, a claw mark left on his shirt, and the blood that had come from it. Having called whoever she could, Yang ended up finding herself sat on the living room couch next to Goodwitch who had arrived after hearing what happened. Yang knew who was responsible for what happened to him, the blame was on herself though Goodwitch tried to convince her otherwise. However, nothing could be said that would stop Yang from crying, except for one thing, something Goodwitch didn't want to say.

Glynda: "Would you stop that?" Yang looked at her confused.

Yang: "But-"

Glynda: "No, just stop. Your father will live and no, you aren't to blame for what happened." Though Yang couldn't stop her tears she didn't respond leading Goodwitch to exhale. "Look, had he bothered to tell anyone about the Grimm, you wouldn't have found him in such a state."

Yang: "I could have-"

Glynda: "Could have what? Fought the Grimm with him and got yourself hurt?" She said sternly, like a mother lecturing her child, however she tired of using that tone and spoke more softly. "Ms. Xiao- Yang, if you want to do anything, you have to deal with what's holding you back."

Yang: "I know." She said as she finally started to calm down. "I just can't forget about it, what happened... I even saw my friends die because of her, even if it was just a dream, I... I was useless just like before."

Glynda: "That's why we have students fight each other, why we throw them into the forest each year, and why we have them take missions so early. The truth is, those students at Beacon were going to die one day... it just happened to be that day."