Chapter 43: The Snowing Tracks III

(F/N)'s POV

I couldn't sleep. The less distracted I was the more I thought about the relics and about what Jinn said. I had to have it back, for a moment, to make sure it was still safe. Sneaking out of the room and over to the one Ruby was using with her team, I quietly destroyed the lock and went in. Over to Ruby's bunk, I saw it in her hand that she had close to her chest. I doubt she even realizes that there's someone right next to her. Trust, right, I'm supposed to trust someone too weak to protect anything with a relic that bends wills. I should make a fake, hide the real one. Reaching out for it, I hesitated when the voice whispered in my ear.

????: "Don't do that." I slowly continued to reach out further when a hand grabbed my shoulder.

Raven: "What are you doing?" Her monotone whisper knew exactly what I was about to do. "Outside, now." I took a breath before following her to the hallway of the train, the door left slightly open while we stood close to the windows. "Well?"

(F/N): "I can't sleep, not while someone else has a relic. It's reckless to let anyone have it, including people I trust."

Raven: "If it's not about trust it better be a damn good reason for you to try and steal it back."

(F/N): "I have them, but what's your reason for caring all of a sudden? I'm surprised you're not in Qrow's camp."

Raven: "You're changing the subject."

(F/N): "Are you going to answer?" We waited for either one of us to speak next until Raven brought out an old picture.

Raven: "Because I remember and see things differently then Qrow." She showed the picture, it was the one of team STRQ, then she turned it around to reveal that it was written on. "Always trust that kid. I'd think about those words for hours and every time I met a struggle. I didn't know what it meant, I didn't even remember writing it, but I always felt that it was telling the truth." I let huff, her lips, to my ears, spoke words of honesty.

(F/N): "So you trust me." I took the picture. "But if I told you to jump off the train, to trust me, would you?"

Raven: "No, because I don't think you'd ask anyone to do that. Not even Ozpin." The picture wrinkled under my thumb.

(F/N): "You're on the fine line between trusting and being stupid."

Raven: "Go in that room, take the relic from Summer's child and do it then. Order me to jump off this train into the cold snow."

(F/N): "You could use your semblance to-" She snatched the picture.

Raven: "I won't stop you and I won't come back if you do." Awkwardly she moved in for a hug. I was about to punch myself to see if I was dreaming. "But I will apologize for the fact that you don't trust me as much as I do you." She moved away, heading back to our room.

(F/N): "Where did that trust come from... Beacon?"

My eyes drifted to the door, there was a fork now in the path ahead, as there have been several in the past. To my right was lies and to my left was trust. One where I held control, the other was without control. Another Beacon, another prison. Who would be the next to dangle the keys of freedom in front of me? I do not know. Not Ruby though, I don't believe she would, neither would Velvet nor possibly Raven. Qrow, though he isn't in the best of shape, could be trusted to an extent. At the door, I slowly opened it and decided on the path I would choose.

Taking a deep breath, I spoke at a regular volume and told them to wake up. Turning on the lights, I stepped in and closed the door, recreating the lock in the process. I sat in the middle of the floor as they complained about what time it was. Ignoring the complaints, I gestured and told them to sit down. Only Ruby did, the others sat on their beds, Weiss with her arms cross. I called Jinn, while she may not enjoy being used as a tool, she would use any reason to get out of that lamp.