Chapter 42: The Snowing Tracks II

(F/N) POV

In every life, there are different moments that change us or show us who we really are. I remember those as different lives from a long time ago, as I would never say I lived a single life. While literally I have only lived one, I cannot honestly say I am anywhere near the same as I was back then. From the day the relics were given to me, from the Brother Gods cursed us, from the day the first empire formed, from the day I lost Snow and Neve, from the day I descended into madness.

Back when Ozpin didn't have me bound to his words, shortly after leaving his care, I went off to find myself. That's what I told him. He could see that, the eyes that say they do not know where they are looking for they do not know what is around them anymore. I wondered, I looked at the people, the families, the happy families that had children playing, smiling. I grew beyond frustrated seeing them. I became resentful shortly after, then I lied to myself. Why not help them? Why not cure the faunus? Why not take people from their happy lives if it meant curing more?

I lied to myself and in my anger I gave them a drug with no cure. Mothers and fathers became animals in cages. I still remember the lab, it's not far from Haven. At the base of a nearby mountain is a cave, inside of which is that of a maze, is where I dragged hundreds of thousands of people. The rough rock eventually turns to smooth stone and vines that hang on the walls, giving off a faint light. Further in smelled of blood, urine, and all sorts of scents that sicken any normal person. No one there was fed, unless in their maddened state they consumed what remained of those that hadn't the strength to live any longer. Those metal bars are rust by now. I kept the torture rack though as something of a reminder. I had a lot of reminders.

That white cloak, how I would have loved to have given one to Snow. A heavier one for the chilling winds and cold nights. That would have been a wonderful gift. Thinking about her, thinking about what I did. I didn't have to, no matter how much I try to convince myself that what I did was right, I know that I was wrong. Even if it meant having one no else, I could have still been there for Snow, for my little girl.

How am I deserving of a family? With the wars that I fanned and fought in, I know that it was by the hands of Ozpin, Salem, and I, that many people have lost family, friends, and loved ones. It's in those thoughts that I wonder if gods truly have a place in this world when all we've done is twist it and its people. Maybe there isn't a place for everyone in this world. As the white endless void faded and everything returned, I felt melancholy about the thoughts. They stood and looked at me with varying shades of shock or disgust. Including Qrow and Raven who thought they had known me before. Jade remained behind me, timed stopped. The first to speak up was Blake, who was the most disgusted and mad of them all.

Blake: "How could you do that to people? How can you live with yourself?"

Ruby: "Blake-"

(F/N): "I barely can at times." I stood up and held my hands out to the side. "Look, I will not argue with what you saw and you have every right to believe what you will. But do not be fooled into thinking Ozpin wanted you to see that out of honesty."

Weiss: "Then why did he want to show us that?"

Ozcar: "It was part honesty, the other part to show the reasons why you cannot trust him with the relics."

(F/N): "Let's make one thing clear about that." I take out the relic of choice and cut it into the table. "If I wanted to, no one here would disobey me. So why haven't I used it, hm?"

Yang: "Would you let anyone else here hold onto them?"

Ruby: "He's just worried Ozpin will try to take them-"