Chapter 29: Just Another Day VIII

(F/N) POV

As I sat there on my knees I watch as life returns to her, as she breathes once more I felt my final breath leave my body, my eyes shut close, as I accepted death in exchange for her life. You would think that if life did flash before your eyes everything would stop to relive mine for what would feel like an eternity. But there was no flash, no light, no one as I reached the end of my life. Like always it was Ozpin's fault, at least I want to blame him for what happened, him and Salem both. The tournament seemed like it was going to end like all the years before, Ruby's team made it through the team matches into the doubles round, though I had avoided them when Tai or Qrow were around I watched every one of their matches.

Coco and Velvet were not as lucky, as the team they faced were at their final year at Vacuo and had not only more skill but experience than CFVY. As for JNPR I wasn't honestly surprised that Pyrrha and Nora mostly carried their team, though Ren was quick and had good aim he simply wasn't that strong, and then there was Jaune. Though he didn't get knocked out of the arena nor had his aura put in the red, he did panic, but still managed to pull his own weight. We were all at the stalls eating and chatting, though CVFY and the others aren't the closest of friends they did have a decent acquaintanceship because of me.

Jaune: "All I'm saying is it was unfair."

(F/N): "Life isn't fair, that's why age and year don't matter in the tournament." I look over to Velvet. "As a side note, I think you did well against them."

Velvet: "Thanks." I look back over to Jaune.

(F/N): "You on the other hand panicked." He looks away sheepishly.

Ruby: "It is nerve-racking though, thinking about how millions of people are watching you."

Yang: "Yeah, but it's fun to fight different people instead of the same students over and over again."

Ruby: "Are you enjoying your time here?" She looked over to me, moving the eyes of the others onto me.

(F/N): "Hmm." I stir my noodles. "Yeah."

Yang: "Yeah no, what's wrong?"

Blake: "It's been written all over your face for the last few days."

(F/N): "I got a letter from an old friend."

Ruby: "Isn't that good? It means someone remembers you after all this time."

(F/N): "You are as naive as you are pure... no."

Yang: "Who was it from?" I get off the stool and toss some money on the counter before stepping away. "(F/N)?"

(F/N): "They're dead."

They remained silent as I left, I didn't want to rain on their celebration by talking about it, by bringing up Summer, also the last thing I want is for them to think I was going to go crazy again. I went off to someplace quiet where I could drink and think of a way to get out of Ozpin's control. If I had the Fall Maiden it would be the easiest thing in the world, but he moved her away from Beacon years ago in concern I would try and pull something with her. I could attempt to break into the vault but from what I had gathered it was borderline impossible to do so without using most, if not all of my magic, granted Ozpin did use almost all of his magic creating them, meaning it would require an equal amount to destroy them.

At the moment I can't be fully sure how much magic I have compared to the vaults, what I can be sure of is someone started following me some time after I left the fairground. Walking randomly through Beacon to try and lose them, I eventually managed to do so and get behind them. It was the girl from the Redwood, Meg the golden fox faunus, she was looking around lost as I came up behind her. I covered her eyes and in a dark voice asked her to guess who I was, she shook nervously but guessed correctly, so I let go and allowed her to turn around.