Chapter 36: The Journey V

Third Person POV

The cold snow of Atlas fell gracefully onto the Schnee manor. Inside, locked away like a bird in a cage, Weiss sat looking from her window and thought about the others. Before her scroll was taken from her, she tried several times to message her teammates only to get no response. Her father, Jacques, had taken away as much of her freedom as he possibly could. To him, his kids had done enough damage to the family name by abandoning the company in pursuit of more barbaric careers. His kids were valuable assets and as such, they could do more than just damage their family name but ruin it and the company. Weiss was only allowed to go to charity gatherings where she might sing on stage or other events approved by her father. As for requests, anything she wanted went through her butler, who brought the request to her father.

Being limited by her father's approval wasn't something new to her, ever since she was a child her interest had to align with his otherwise she'd get nowhere. One time, when she was little, she saw a picture in a kids book, it was a cute doll in the shape of a rabbit. She had asked politely if she could get one for her birthday, her father, uninterested, told her that if she improved in her piano lessons then he would consider it. So Weiss put in the effort, with her birthday approaching she grew more excited, Weiss never had a doll or any real toys for that matter so to her it was something wonderful. Something that, in the end, opened her eyes to the real world and its many disappointments. She didn't get that rabbit, just some fancy dresses and jewelry. Only one person really noticed Weiss slowly change over time.

Winter, her older sister, though cold in her affection she was glad that Weiss was safe after what happened at Beacon. She noticed while at one of the gatherings, when Ironwood told her to take a day off, that her sister appeared miserable. Offering to have a match with her to see what she learned, Winter found out that their father had gotten rid of Weiss' rapier. She was meant to be the heiress of the Schnee Dust Company, not a Huntress, but so too was Winter at one point. There was no third sibling for them to move the title to, a few years after Weiss' birth the gap between their parents widened greatly to the point you'd never see them in the same building, let along the same bed. So of course, failing to make Winter into the heiress, Jacques wasn't going to make the same mistakes with Wiess. He already made the mistake of humoring her with a test, which she passed and as a result, left for Beacon Academy to become a Huntress.

As someone knocked on the door to her room, Weiss was sure it was about some social event or possibly time for one of her private tutors. Time did seem abstract with no clock in her room or scroll to tell her. Allowing the person to come in, it was a familiar face she had seen more in her life than her parents, her butler Klein. A good man who was slightly overweight and balding, though he had luckily not gone gray yet, still having color on his mustache and remaining hair. The only thing odd about him was the colors of his eyes, which would change along with a shift in his personality. He rolled in a light-blue trunk into Weiss' room with a sincere smile on his face.

Weiss: "Another dress from a suiter?" Her tone gave away how disinterested she was.

Klein: "I think you'll like who this came from." Opening the trunk revealed not only a combat outfit but also a new weapon to replace her old one. "I never said this, but Winter sounded concerned about you and wanted me to pass this along." Weiss walked over to the trunk, inside she was feeling something she hadn't since Beacon.

Weiss: "Does father know about this?"

Klein: "Know about what? I simply came here to tell you what was for dinner, nothing more." Weiss smiled.

Weiss: "Thank you for informing me."

Klein: "Of course."

He bowed before leaving Weiss with her gift. Taking out the new clothes, she noticed the coat and leggings were thick, more suited for the cold weather of Atlas than her combat skirt was. Sticking out from one of the coat pockets Weiss noticed a note, it had been written by Winter, briefly explaining that she, while unable to do much for Weiss, wanted to help. Though that message might not have sounded as heartwarming in Winter's own words, Weiss still read it with a smile. Putting the outfit back down into the trunk, she picked up her new rapier and held it like she did her old one. It felt different, obviously it would, it wasn't the same weapon she had trained with, it wasn't the same weapon that she used to pass her father's test, and it wasn't the same weapon which had her memories attached to it.