Chapter 32: The Journey I

(F/N) POV

The island of Patch has one minor port city, though I say minor it is about half the size of Vale and is home to Signal Academy, a combat school for those that wish to enter Beacon some day. With the situation as it is I don't doubt Signal will be the new Beacon for now, that is if any of the remaining students and professors actually stay. There have been groups of people leaving for the other kingdoms, most likely going to extended family, with the students transferring to the other academies. There are more that are staying though, most of whom are working to expand the city to meet the needs of the people.

My needs are rather simple, right now I'm looking at some kid with his scroll, laughing. Somehow Ozpin always found any scrolls I created and would have them disposed of, now that he's not around to do that, I had Ruby take me around the city, mainly showing me to a store that sold scrolls. Thanks to the sub towers installed in minor cities, the connection between Patch and the other kingdoms was still there. Atlas realized first that having just four main towers that relied on each other was risky, and so a network of sub-towers was put in place throughout the kingdoms. So as long as the sub-tower could reach Vacuo, the people of Patch could stay connected with the outside world.

Speaking of outside, it was rather nice walking around with Ruby, though I learned something rather annoying once we reached the docks. Turns out yesterday two large airships, one from Vacuo and the other from Mistral, departed with the transferring students and people, in other words, I missed the fastest way to the city because I decided to help Yang. Not that I'm complaining, I do get to spend more time with Ruby as a result and I'd rather not take the fastest way, Ozpin can wait his ass in the city. So while we waited for a regular ship heading for Mistral to dock, we went to a noodle stand to eat.

(F/N): "God I love this." I let out a chuckle.

Ruby: "I don't think I've ever seen you this happy."

(F/N): "I'd be happier if this other subreddit didn't make me feel outdated." I put down my new scroll and ate some of my noodles before continuing. "So, what happened between you and Yang?"

Ruby: "Nothing." She turned moody and dug into her food.

(F/N): "Ruby, what made you want to leave?" She doesn't say a thing but puts her chopsticks down. "Sigh, well I can't force you to talk about it, but I would like to know what happened." I return to eating.

Ruby: "We... got into an argument." Not another word was spoken and as I said I wasn't going to force her to talk.

(F/N): "Hey, do you mind if we stop by Signal?"

Ruby: "Uh, sure, there something you want to see?"

(F/N): "More like someone, assuming they're there."

After paying for our meal the two of us headed out, I had one last person I wanted to say goodbye to. With Ruby I didn't seem like some stranger entering the school as people there knew her, making it easier to ask where I could find my person of interest. Approaching their office I asked Ruby to wait outside for me, there are some things Ruby doesn't need to hear, yet at the same time I know I'll have to tell her about Salem at some point. Entering without knocking, I was greeted by a stern voice asking what I wanted. When Goodwitch finally looked up her usual joyless expression turned around into one of both surprise and comfort. I shut the door behind me and approached her desk, I had to admit I was happy myself that she didn't forget me.

Glynda: "You're alive, when Qrow told me... it's good to see you're well."

(F/N): "What? You're not annoyed that I might cause trouble?" She got serious.