Chapter 2: Fake Smiles, but Real Tears

I can tell Jonah and Daniel are about to start throwing punches so I slickly get down the stairs without being noticed

I can tell Jonah and Daniel are about to start throwing punches so I slickly get down the stairs without being noticed. I see Daniel flip Jonah off, but Jonah is not having it. "I'll tell you what. You can take that finger and stick it up your-"

"Happy birthday, Jonah," I croak, interrupting him and making everyone in the kitchen look at me, including Corbyn.

Taking in what I said, the boys avert their attention to Jonah while he keeps his focus on me. "Hap-happy birthday, Jonah..." Jack says, embarrassed.

"I... I'm so sorry, Jo. Happy birthday, bro," Daniel says ruefully.

Corbyn doesn't say anything, he simply gets up and gives Jonah a big hug. I would say a warm hug, but the sad truth is everything in this house feels cold. Especially us. That's why we don't join the hug like we usually would; it's too cold to try and look for warmth.

Once they pull apart, Corbyn gives him a small, fake smile. Corbyn has been doing the least amount of speaking than anyone. If he can barely talk without breaking down, does he really think I'll find that smile genuine? Anyways, he sits back down at the counter and Jonah is still shocked.

"Th-thank you," he stutters, staring at me.

"Yeah," I whisper before clearing my throat. "I'm gonna go out to get you a gift."

That's when Corbyn's ears perk up. "I'll come with," he says, still softly. His voice must be sore from crying.

I smile at him as I get the keys from the table. Jack nods at me when we walk out. We havn't talked at all since we found out. That night still haunts me.

"Guys, get off each other!" Daniels screams are drowned out by the ringing in my ears. He manages to pull us apart and I can feel blood dripping down my face. I also see the damage I've done to Jack and feel content. That doesn't last long, though.

"Zach?!" I snap my head up and find I'm sitting in the drivers seat of the car, but haven't started the engine yet. I notice Corbyn next to me and I must've been really lost in thought for Corbyn to speak that loud. "Are you- nevermind. I already know the answer to that question," he says quietly. I nod my head awkwardly and stick the key into the ignition.

The car ride is silent until, I suppose, Corbyn gets tired of it and turns the radio on. "God's Plan" by Drake comes on and I'm fine with it. I love Drake. Out of no where, I hear tiny sobs. I look over briefly to see Corbyn covering his ears and looking down. I assume he is crying. Once I turn down the radio, Corbyn stops, but doesn't look up from the same blue jeans he's worn all week. I pull over at a nearby gas station.