Chapter 26: The Diner on 27th Street

[• = play song!]

[• = play song!]

I've never been 100% sure why people make fun of my driving. It's not the worst, to be honest, but maybe it could use a little work. "Zach, slow down," April warns, her hand instantly going to the armrest console. I smile and place my hand on top of hers.

I see her shake her head, but smile.

Where exactly are we going?

I don't really know. I know that this is the happiest I've been in a long time, though. "I think I know where we should go," April speaks up, as if reading my mind.

I glance over at her before quickly averting my attention back to the road, making sure not to kill us. "Where?" I ask the very pretty girl beside me. I can see in my perpetual vision that she licks her lips nervously, but that never fails to tighten my pants at least a little.

"The diner on 27th Street," she says softly. By her tone, I immediately know this place holds memories to her, extremely important memories. I nod, rubbing my thumb on her hand soothingly.

To lighten the mood, I ask her, "Any song requests?"

April has a small smile when she answers, "God's Plan, by Drake."

My eyebrows furrow the slightest bit, but I hand her my phone so she can play it. After she clicks on it, she quietly hums along to the chorus, the moonlight illuminating her beautiful face. The melody that is her gentle voice always manages to spark my heart and my ears, a little smile on my lips.

My phone buzzes suddenly, causing both of us to snap out of our calming environment. April checks, pursing her lips before she informs, "It's Bryana."

I sigh, "Yeah, just ignore it."

"Zach..."

"Seriously, April. You know how I feel about her," I say, thinking of all the wrong Bryana made me feel before. I'm not sure if I'm scarred or not, but it's definitely more difficult to see girls in the same way.

"What did she do to you..? In detail," April asks gently, turning off the rap song that I am still confused on why she played.

I take a deep breath, "Bryana got seemingly more and more controlling over the course of four months. It's complicated to say out loud, but she was just really clingy, yet she wasn't really there... and, well, she was extremely attention needy. Not just from me, but literally everyone around us. It turned into something else, Bryana turned into a different girl. But, she did fix some wounds that I had and for that I'm thankful," I vent, doing my best to explain just how I see Bryana now.