Chapter 9: Crumbling Up

I sit there, stunned, staring at the girl I love

I sit there, stunned, staring at the girl I love. She is in so much pain and all I can feel is guilt and frustration. Guilt, because this is my fault and frustration, because I can't do anything about it. She doesn't even want me to touch her.

The boys flow into the room like fumes, all worried. "What happened? What'd you do to her?" Corbyn asks, getting defnsive and walking towards April.

She just backs away on the bed until she hits the wall, the fear on her face worrying us even more. "I-I just touched her hand," I answer, not taking my eyes off the scared girl.

The boys all exchange nervous glances. I don't think any of us know what to do. Daniel steps forward, but my eyes shift to Jack who walks out of the room. "April, do you want to sleep? Jack, he... he brought all your clothes," Daniel speaks, giving the girl a pitiful look. She simply nods and begins getting under the covers on my bed.

I rush out, ignoring whatever was happening, just wanting to know why Jack had left so abruptly. I find him sitting at the desk in his room, his hands going through his hair. "What happened?" I ask from the doorway, my presence startling him.

"What do you mean?" he asks like he's clueless. I glare at him.

"You just... left. Why?"

His eyes finally look into mine, revealing the gloss. He takes a deep breath, probably to keep his voice steady before saying, "It hurts. It hurts to see her like that. It hurts to know she's been hurt and is still hurting. I... it's all my fault," Jack begins crying and bangs his head on the desk.

I take a deep breath and try calming Jack down. It eventually works and I return to my room only to find April completely asleep. I smile and carefully kiss her forehead. It's then that I notice hickeys on her neck.

I stumble back before sprinting down the stairs, nearly tripping various times. I see Daniel and Jonah whispering to each other. Then I look left to find Corbyn on the couch crying. I stare back at the two brunettes who are now looking at me with familiar sad faces.

( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )

My whole world has come crumbling down. I fell down the deepest, darkest hole of pure sadness. And possibly anger. My mind is tormented and it feels like my heart is no longer there.

I look at two of my best friends in front of me who appear just as heartbroken. "You... you mean to t-tell me that... that the police think April was... r-ra-ped?" I ask, choking back sobs as salty tears stream all the way down to my lips.