Chapter 10: Sunshine

It wasn't like any other day

It wasn't like any other day. Of course, April is home and safe, so it's a great day for me, but really. Today is different. There isn't a sense of confusion or sorrow, it's just me, my four best friends, and the girl I love. Well... I thought it would be like that.

I awake to the sun shining through my window, and although that has made me angry the past week, today I am grateful for those rays of sunshine. I walk downstairs and find Daniel cooking something for breakfast. The milk is out, the egg carton open, and there are random utensils scattered around the area. He sees me and gives me a pleading look. "I'll get Jonah," I roll my eyes and trot back up the stairs.

"Stop... you know how I feel, Jack," a voice says softly before I can walk past Jack's room. I stop dead in my tracks and keep quiet to hear the rest.

"April... I was worried about you.. so worried about you. We all were, but it was different for me and I know it. It felt like... a part of myself was missing," I hear Jack tell her. I feel like choking him.

"I.. I love Zach.." she whispers in her soft voice and I feel my heart bursting for her. She is the only reason I even want to be alive right now. "I know we had... something, at one point, Jack. But, honestly... we both know that was lust," she continues and my cheeks burn. I hate that they had had anything at all. Especially lust.

I can only envision the way Jack;s jaw is probably clenched at this moment. "You're making a mistake that you'll regret. It's not lust, April. I really feel something for you.. I'm starting to think I'm-I'm in lo-"

I cut him off by jumping into the room, "Hello, beautiful!" I yell and kiss her cheek. She immediately pulls away from me and gasps. The scared look on her face worries Jack and I.

"So-sorry, I got kind of shocked," she whispers and looks down. I glance at Jack who really only looks angry.

"Baby, let's help Daniel with breakfast?" I ask the girl, making sure not to touch her from fear she might flinch. She only nods and walks towards me. She stops in front of me and leans over to kiss my cheek. Her soft lips making contact with my skin cause the butterflies I already had to flutter intensely. I smile and so does she.

Jack coughs and we both turn to him. He glares at us, "Hope you're happy," he directs towards April and walks out. She turns to me and her green eyes appear desolate.

"Jack thinks he's in love with me," she says in her gentle voice. I want to go beat Jack with a shovel for hurting April even after everything she's been through, but I know April hates violence, so I smile at her.

"I love you, too."

She blushes and looks down. When she looks up, she has the same sad gleam in her eyes, "I don't want to hurt either of you," she says.

I think for a second. If April is happy, then so am I, "Pick who you're happiest with, cutie. We'll just have to deal with it."

She stares at her feet again, "Is Corbyn over me?"

I want to lie and tell her yes, because I want her all to myself, but Corbyn is far from over her. He loves her more than Jack does, and maybe even more than I do.

Doubtful, I think.

"He is not," I whisper. She looks into my eyes with a gloomy expression.

"I love you, though," she smiles. I smile back before putting my hands on her waist. I see her panic before relaxing and looking up at me, "Are... are you ever going to tell me what happened?" I ask cautiously. April looks back down at her shoes.

"It's difficult," she replies, her voice cracking. My heart aches again and I pull her into my arms, completely.

"Don't worry. Tell me when you're ready," I say. She nods and wets my shirt with her tears again.

( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )

To say Daniel makes me jealous is an understatment. Him and April can't keep their hands off each other. I understand that they're "best friends" or some other bullshit, but his arm is literally around her. My blood boils while they lay on the couch and laugh with each other. I storm into the living room and sit on the couch next to them, "What's so funny?" I finally snap at them.

Their laughter slowly dies down, "...We're just looking at Why Don't We memes..." Daniel whispers and April giggles. I want nothing more than to be the reason for that sunshine. April looks at me and smiles.

"Zach, have I ever told you how gorgeous your eyes are?" she asks and I blush a crimson shade. Her pink lips curve into a smile, but I can't help but look at the bruise on her cheek. I feel like crying again, but simply look away.

"April! You never compliment my eyes!" I hear Daniel whine. I roll my eyes and shoot him a glare. April chuckles.

"Maybe because you already know how cool they are," she says solemnly, "but Zach has brown eyes and people usually think they aren't that significant. But, Zach," I look up and our eyes fixate on each other, "they really are something different. They resemble sunlight.. like that feeling you get when you feel the sunshine come in through your window when you wake up.. new opportunities." She pauses, "Your eyes give me hope, Zachary."

My mind is blown. April's really coming back, recuperating from those scars she was recently given. The blush I had comes back and I smile like the idiot I am, "I could very much say the same to you, Green Eyes."

She smiles her gorgeous smile. A real one. "Thank you, Brown Eyes."

A blonde, bouncing, teenage boy comes sprinting into the room, energy radiating off of him, "Guys! Let's go out today! To celebrate that we finally have April back!" His red lips are spread from ear to ear in an enormous smile while his green-blue eyes stare at us intently. April smiles and he blushes, so naturally, my hands form into fists.

"Depends where," Daniel says, looking up from his band memes that he stalks on Instagram.

"Heard there's a carnival in town right now," Corbyn suggests, sitting beside April. I try to control my anger, for April, but it feels impossible when Corbyn was getting too close.

"I love carnivals... My dad used to take me every year," she squeaks and we all look at her in despair. She looks away before biting her lip and forcing a smile for us.

"Don't you dare fake a smile at me, Robinson," Daniel says softly and wraps his arms around her. She hugs the brunette back, but I don't get jealous. I'm completely glad that she knows she has us, that she doesn't need to fake her emotions for us.

"You're our sunshine," I hear Corbyn whisper. I haven't ever heard something more true, besides the fact that April owns my heart.

-

[A/N: THE ALBUM IS SO GOOD I'M-]

PL: august, 31 2018