Chapter 27: Break-Ups and Make-Ups

[• = play song!]

[• = play song!]

The drive back is in a comfortable silence. By now it's almost 11 P.M. and our phones are blowing up. I hold April's hand, a small smile on both of our faces.

Pulling up to our house, I grow a little fearful.

Will April change her mind?

I look over at the gorgeous girl who's already looking at me with the same fear. "We can't back down, Zach. We've spent way too much fucking time apart," she says solemnly.

I smile at the cuss word before leaning over the armrest console. She does the same, her fingers intertwining with my hair as we kiss slowly, the moonlight covering our skin. We pull away and and smile at each other, "I love you, April."

"I love you, too, Zach," she replies softly, without hesitation. "But what's the plan? We can't just walk in there and do whatever comes to mind," April says.

I smirk as a thousand ideas pop into my head.

( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )

I swing our door open and step in courageously. "We're back!" I yell at the top of my lungs.

The living room floods with people at once, April coming in behind me. "Where have you been?!" Shawn yells as he pulls April by the arm towards him.

I step in immediately, pushing Shawn away and pulling her behind me, "Don't touch her, dickwad."

He glares at me, "Let go of my girlfriend, Zach," he says with false serenity. I look around and see literally everyone staring intently.

"No. Because-"

"Because I'm not your girlfriend, anymore," April squeaks from behind me, interrupting me.

The room falls silent, most jaws dropped. Shawn finally clears his throat, "Pardon?"

"You heard her," I barge in, April suddenly clinging onto me from behind, her warmth calming me down.

Shawn tilts his head so he can see April, "You cannot be serious. We need to talk. Now," he demands.

I roll my eyes, "It's time for you to leave, Mendes."

He looks me dead in the eyes, "I'm not leaving without April."

"Well, you heard her. She broke up with you and is definitely not going back to New York with you and you sure as hell are not staying here," I spit.