Chapter 13: Don't

I wake up to half the boys yelling at me and the other half yelling at April downstairs

I wake up to half the boys yelling at me and the other half yelling at April downstairs. I had gone back to sleep after our argument and hoped to stay asleep forever, but the boys didn't like that wish and, instead, preferred to scream blame at me for "driving April away".

Don't they realize I want her to stay just as much as them?

"Zach, what the hell happened?! We heard you guys arguing this morning and now April packed all her things and is trying to leave?!!" Jack asks me with a roar of rage. Jonah stands next to him with a vexed expression, both next to my bed as I lay there.

"I.." I take a deep breath, "I tried to convince her not to go."

Jack opens his mouth, but Jonah slaps his hand over his face, "Well why does she want to leave?" Jonah asks.

I think about what happened earlier this morning, April leans in slowly and so do I. Our lips mesh together and my favorite feeling ever is her lips against mine, an eternal flame that I just know will always be there. We pull away and catch our breaths, our eye contact not breaking for anything, "I love you, too," she answers, making my heart pump with happiness.

"But I have to leave."

I close my eyes, pain surging through my whole body, "She-she said she needs to heal..." I reply.

Jonah and Jack glance at each other before turning back to me with the same faces as before, "Why does she need to leave to do that?" Jack asks.

The memories continue to come at me, nonstop, hurting my heart in ways not even imaginable, "Just.. tell me why. Why the hell do you want to leave?!"

"Because I can't be around you guys!" she screams, leaving me shocked.

"Zach?" I hear a faint echo, but it isn't enough to pull me out of the vivid conversation of this morning, "I... I need to be alone. Secluded for some time... A-away from this city that... that reminds me of my incident and of my mother," she whispers this time.

"Zach!" I blink a few times and suddenly my thoughts aren't screaming or torturing me. Jonah has his hand tightly placed on my shoulder and quickly takes it off, "Are you alright?"

"Ye-ah," I say dryly, "She wants to get away from us and the city," I state bluntly.

Jonah and Jack's eyes widen, "What did-what did we do?!" Jack asks.

"How the fuck should I know?" I reply coldly.

"Did you try talking her out of it?" my blood churns at his questions, "Did you try telling her that we-"