Chapter 17: Relax

"That was hot," Bryana teases

"That was hot," Bryana teases. It's the next day and we are all currently at the beach. Daniel suggested we go to cheer us up even more. Bryana is really charming her way into our hearts.

I had just tripped over a towel and Bryana had witnessed the whole thing. I turn to look at the smirking girl, her turquoise bikini really drawing my attention to her body. "You're one to talk, sweetheart," I wink. She blushes a deep red and turns away. I smirk and run into the water.

My sudden bursts of confidence mainly come when I am near Bry and it's always fun making the poor girl flustered. I see her tanning while the rest of the gang is doing their own thing. Surprisingly, Jack had promised to clean up his act, so he got to come home. I don't want to hold a grudge because he's one of my best friends, so we're okay. He's surfing and talking to a lot of the surfer girls, Daniel and Corbyn are trying to make a gigantic sandcastle, and Jonah left to the boardwalk saying he was going to meet a "friend".

I'm relaxing myself, April not even coming to my mind anymore. I listen to the waves, the seagulls cawing, and feel the soft sand underneath my feet. I close my eyes taking it in, but am disrupted when I hear a splash next to me.

My heart speeds up a bit seeing Bryana, her brown hair now a black shade as it sticks to her skin in a wet, straight mess. "You looked lonely," she smiles a friendly smile.

I smile back, "I guess I'm just relaxing," I state honestly. I'm not one to open up easily, but Bryana has me messed up, breaking my system of isolation.

"Zach, you should know that it's okay. It's okay to take a break from your stress. Especially when you've been going through something difficult," she says softly, the melody of her voice and the water serenading my ears.

"You're different," I suddenly say. It isn't something I planned out in my head like I usually would, it just slipped out so bluntly.

Her lips form into a smile, "How so, Mr. Herron?"

My cheeks burn in embarrassment as I think of what to say this time, "You.. you break me open. Something that I would never say to anyone, I'd say to you without any effort. It's easy when I'm with you and I'm.. happy," I answer, reciting my feelings to this girl I had met not even a week ago.

She gives me understanding eyes, something that I've been needing for so long. "I'm here for you. Always. Even if we haven't known each other long, like, at all," we both laugh a little, "I'll be here for you."

At that moment, our eyes connect and it feels like our souls do, too. I want to bring her closer, for some reason, and attach my lips to hers. But the moment feels too real for me to even move. Finally, I pick her up and throw her over my shoulder.