Chapter 11: "Problems"

"So what is your favorite color?"

"Probably a green-blue color," she answers, glancing at Corbyn who smirks.

I stare at her in confusion, but she doesn't even look at me again. I turn my attention out the window, passing all the city lights that always mesmerize me. Daniel starts blasting Dua Lipa in the car, making us groan. "What?!" he snaps with sass. I hear April giggle, causing a smile to form on my lips.

"You always play Dua Lipa," Corbyn whines from the back where he sits with Jonah. April sits in the middle of Jack and I, Jack sending me death glares throughout the ride.

"Yes, Jack?" I finally speak up when I feel him burn holes through me.

He smiles mischievously, "Sorry, it's just.. you have something on the back of your neck." I furrow my eyebrows and before I know it, he slaps the back of my neck. I roll my eyes as he chuckles. April sits quietly, playing with her fingers. We arrive, the glow of the neon purple lights from the ferris wheel shining into the car. "April, go on that rollercoaster with me!" Jack exclaims, pointing at the biggest ride in the whole carnival.

She looks terrified, "Uh.. actually-"

I grab her hand and pull her out of the car, not too rough obviously. "You're hanging out with me, okay?" I say as we walk to the ticket booth.

She stops, our hands only connected because I'm holding hers, "Zach, we came as a group," she tells me.

"But I want to hang out with you..." I say, a little hurt.

"We can still hang out. But it can't always just be you and I," she replies softly.

I try pulling her closer to me, but she harshly pulls away from me, her green eyes filled with fear, "D-don't touch m-e.." she stutters.

"April.." I whisper and attempt holding her hand, but she rips it away, tears beginning to flow from her eyes.

"Leave me alone!" She screams and runs off, leaving me shocked while people around stare.

I run after her, trying to catch up, but she takes some stealthy turns and I lose her. I breathe heavily and whip out my phone, calling Daniel. He picks up after two rings, "Zach, where are you?"

"I-I lost April.. She ran off," I say, worry laced in my words. I can hear Daniel worrying through the line, imagining the way his blue eyes have probably widened.

"Okay, okay. We'll-we'll all split up to try finding her. Keep searching and stay in contact," he orders.

I agree and hang up before looking around anxiously.