Chapter 3: Lucid Dreams

The police investigation is still going on, but it's not like it's very much help to finding April

The police investigation is still going on, but it's not like it's very much help to finding April. My mind is flooded with memories and the series of events from that day.

Jack follows Daniel shortly after, but my feet won't let me move. I'm too scared. Scared that they'll fail in finding her. Scared something bad is occurring. I push that idea away, but in the back of my head, I know it's true. I finally let my feet move. And they take me someplace I didn't expect them to.

I blink back my tears, hoping Corbyn hadn't seen my eyes. We're in the car on our way back to the depressing household we call home. My mind zones off to April, again. I wonder where her mom has gone. She still isn't here after the police had tried contacting her multiple times. Her dad is dead and the authorities don't know who else to call. But, April, it's like she's the only thing I can think of.

How did she disappear? I ask myself.

I know for a fact April wouldn't just leave us like that. She loves me, I can feel it.

So was she kidnapped? I ask myself once again.

My heart starts beating faster and I can physically feel that that is what happened. That terrifies me.

We pass the venue that she was seen last at on our way home. That place gives me a weird feeling. I think it's just because that was the last place I got to see April, but now I feel it's something more.

( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )

Arriving at the house, Corbyn runs inside with the gifts to hide them since they still need to be wrapped. After some time, I assume Corbyn has managed to get in without being seen so I close my car door noisily to get the boys' attention on me. I walk up our steps and as I'm reaching for the door, it swings open.

There stands a girl with an extremely pale shade of brown wavy hair and glasses. Her facial features resemble Jonah's so I immediately know it's Esther. "Oh, hey Esther," I mumble.

"Hey, Zach," she greets, pulling me into a hug. I feel the vibe of pity.

I nearly have a breakdown again, so I quickly pull away and brush past her into my house. Although the only thing I want to do is lock myself in my bedroom and sulk, Jonah stops me before I can attain getting to the stairs. "Hey, did you see Esther?" he asks, a smile tugging at his lips. A real one.

"Yeah, we said hi," I answer, not really caring.

"Look, I thought maybe it'd help you to have a girl in the house. To talk t-"

"I don't need help," I retort impatiently.

"Zach, we're worried about you," he says in that stupidly calm voice. He proceeds to put a hand on my shoulder.

It's all angering me. "Get the fuck off me!" I yell, shaking his hand away from my shoulder.

"Zach!" Esther exclaims, rushing into the room.

"Worry about yourselves!" I bark and run into the safety of my room, slamming the door to burn off some steam.

I run my hands through my already messy hair.

I'm going insane without you, April, I think, pacing the floor.

The voices in my head are all speaking at once. I can feel my head pounding and hear my heart thumping. My fingers begin trembling and droplets of sweat fall from my face to the floor. I am beginning to feel numb. "Ahhhh!" I scream and the world goes dark.

( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )( ̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )

I am so confused. I open my eyes and see clouds, but the sky has gold glitter along with the normal blue color. The clouds are so soft and white, making me want to fall back asleep, but I stand up forcefully. My feet aren't touching the clouds, but I don't really pay attention to it. I pay attention to the hushed voice I hear from a cloud nearby. I leap over to it easily. I wonder if I can fly.

"You can," a voice speaks.

I become startled and look all around, but see no one. Just the gorgeous panorama surrounding me. "Right here," the same voice says behind me.

I turn around quickly. I see the most beautiful angel. She has long brown hair with the greenest eyes. Her dimples stand out along with her red cheeks. She wears a golden halo that simply floats above her neatly brushed hair. Her short white dress is flowy and she's barefoot. She is actually glowing. "April?" I whisper.

"Hey, Zach," her sweet voice says. I apprehend that our mouths aren't actually moving, we're speaking telepathically. But she's smiling, making me smile back at the sight. I also notice that she looks like an angel. A literal angel. And this place looks like the description of heaven.

"A-are you d...dead?" I ask, my heart falling to my stomach.

Her smile falters, but returns instantly. "No," she says. "Not physically," she adds in a whisper.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask quickly, fearful she might vanish. Again.

She gives me the look of pity. Fuck. "Spiritually, I'm basically dead," she says softly. But still with her beautiful smile. I feel my heart break all over again and tears form.

I want to ask her how she is or what'd happening to her, but the only question I can even process is, "Where are you?" April continues with silence, making me even more desperate. "Where are you?!" I scream at the love of my life, but she doesn't even look fazed. I try to touch her, feel her, just once more, but she steps back, making all the little pieces of my broken heart ache.

"Follow your heart. Believe in yourself, Zach. You're right, trust me," she whispers, coming closer to me. She smiles, making me melt. "I love you," she says, reaching her hand out to caress my cheek. I look into her green eyes once more before closing my brown ones, ready to feel her touch.

And just when her fingertips come in contact with my cheek, I feel a gust of wind. I open my eyes. She's gone.

"I'll find you, April," I smile.

-

PL: july 9, 2018