Chapter 1

'Ding!... Ding!... Ding!...'

My phone alarm went off. I slowly rolled over onto my side and stopped the alarm. I let out a long yawn as I slowly got out of bed.

It's 6:30 in the morning. The time I normally wake up. I stretched out as I slowly got up onto my two feet and grabbed my school uniform which was hanging on top of a blue plastic chair next to my desk. I got dressed and I walked out of my room.

I walked over to the kitchen and I looked through the cupboards to find cereal. I found a box of crunchy nut. I got a bowl and filled it up, pouring the almost out of date milk into the bowl.

I walked into the lounge room with my bowl of crunchy nut and I sat down on our crappy old couch, which had a blanket over it because all of the couch covers were broken.

I grabbed the tv remote and turned on the tv. It was on the news channel. They were talking about a virus going around America, that has apparently spread across most of the world. The news reporter said that we shouldn't worry. But it all sounded scary. I finished eating my crunchy nut and turned off the tv.

I checked my phone to see the time. It was 7:06, I have to leave in a couple minutes. I got up and looked into my dads room which was next to the lounge room. He was still asleep. I knocked on the door to wake him up.

"It's seven o'clock already. We are going to be late" I said.

"Just, get yourself to school" My dad said yawing tiredly.

I sighed and walked out of his room. I walked to my room and packed my bag with my laptop and a sandwich I made last night. I walked out the front door and I headed towards the bus stop. The bus normally takes one hour and a half to get down to Adelaide from the hills. So I'm going to be late to school.

I waited at the bus stop. It was weird, normally there's about five other people here waiting for the same bus I catch, but they aren't here. No one was. There were lots of cars driving past. They had luggage all packed up in the back. Everyone must be a bit scared of the virus going around.

I saw my bus coming down the road. I waved as the bus stopped. I got in and I swiped my MetroCard on the ticket machine. I looked inside the bus. There were only three people on the bus. I slowly wobbled in as the bus driver quickly took off before I could get to a seat. I cautiously sat down so I wouldn't embarrass myself and fall over. I took out my phone and opened Instagram, scrolling down I saw Alleigh posted just a few seconds ago. It was a picture of her cat sitting up on her window, with the caption 'meow' and a cat emoji.

Alleigh's cat is very cute. He's very friendly. I met him once or twice when I went to Alleigh's for a party. I then scrolled down and saw another post. It was the death ratio of the virus so far. It was pretty high. Three hundred and ninety thousand. Apparently it's still rising.

I took out my headphones and connected them into my phone. I went onto Spotify and went onto my Liked Songs. I pressed Shuffle Play as a song by SIA started to play. I leaned against the window of the bus and felt the vibrations through my head as I listened to the music.

One hour and a half later I made it to my destination. I pressed the stop button as the small bell played. The bus driver stopped at my stop. I stood up and put my bag onto my back. I waved to the bus driver thanking him as he waved back. I stepped off of the bus. I looked at the time. It was 8:48. I was eight minutes late.