Chapter 12

1 WEEK AGO

"We want a better co-leader. A year eight is way too young!" The group of students yelled as Ms. Haywood and I stood in front of the crowd as they argued with us.

"Sam saved us all. He saved all of your lives. He is more then qualified to become co-leader. He also should be respected and honoured for what he did. He had more strength and bravery then anyone here" Ms. Haywood said.

"But why didn't any of the teachers step in to help us? Shouldn't we put all of the teachers in cells as well? They were with Mr. Harris, some of them even killed a few students, and they get to walk around here like nothing happened!" One of the students said from the group of people.

I looked behind me and saw a group who were behind my back to help me.

"Co-leader doesn't  mean anything anyway. All the co-leader does is help the leader make decisions, and when Ms. Haywood needs a break Sam steps in. Any idea Sam has will go to Ms. Haywood first. So if he came up with an idea no one likes it wouldn't get though Ms. Haywood. Even though that won't happen" Kiara said.

"And who are you!? You're Sam's friend! You're just saying all this because you're friends with him!" A student shouted.

"I am his friend yes. I thought we were all friends. And no I am not behind his back because of that. I'm behind his back because he saved my life when we went for the last run by Mr. Harris. We were being attacked by a group of people and Sam killed them all. But sadly Jia didn't make it. If it wasn't for him Alleigh and I would be dead. And so would you guys!" Kiara said.

It started to get violent between the people arguing. One of the group members walked up to one of the guys defending me and started to shout in his face. He then head butted him and that's when it started. They started to beat each other up. All the teachers tried to stop them but they just kept on fighting. I took my pistol out of my pocket and pointed it in the air. I was more used to guns shooting now because I used it a couple times to take down a few Walkers.

*BANG*

As everyone stopped fighting I put the pistol back into my pocket.

"Look what you guys have turned into. We are meant to be a family. Kiara you're wrong about how you called us friends, were not. We are a family. We need to stick by each other's side no matter what. Just because a guy who's younger has been chosen to be the co-leader, doesn't mean it's the end of the world. Because that's already happened. We need to stop fighting and get together. Most of our families are probably dead, I know mine is. So now we have to make a new family. And that's all of you guys" I said.

1 WEEK LATER
THE ATTACK

The cars came to a stop. Two men jumped out of each one and opened the back of the van up. They then got into their cars and quickly beeped there horns. About ten Walkers came tumbling out of the back of the van once they were all out they quickly drove away.

"Quick we need to try to kill those Walkers" I said.

"We won't be able to" Alleigh said.

"Look" Alleigh said pointing to the road.

A massive herd of Walkers were walking down the road towards us.

"Shit. What do we do?" Alleigh said.

"We need to warn everyone" I said.

"Everyone! Get inside there's a herd on its way and the fence is broken! Get inside!" I yelled trying to get the other guards to yell as well.

That's when my message spread and now every guard was yelling out to everyone to get inside.

"Where do we go?" Alleigh asked.

"I think we can stay up here. It's the safest point. Walkers can't climb" I said.

"Good point. What about everyone else?" Alleigh said.

"We just have to hope they will all be ok. There's nothing we can do" I said.

The herd of Walkers started to tumble into the school. They didn't notice us and walked around us covering the school. This was the biggest amount of Walkers I have ever seen in one group ever.

"What are we going to do?" Alleigh asked.

"I don't know" I said.

I thought for a bit. I thought about how the Walkers can know if we are either alive or dead. I wonder if they tell by eyesight. That can't be it because Walkers tend to walk into things sometimes. Their eyesight must be very poor. It could be smell. That's when it came to me.

"I've got an idea. It's dangerous but it might work. But you may not like it either" I said.

"What is it?" Alleigh asked me.

"What if we cover ourselves in Walker blood and guts and see if we can walk through them without them noticing us. It could work. There's a way they know who's dead or alive. This could be the way" I said.

"It's a smart idea. But the flaws are that how are we going to kill a Walker without being detected, if it doesn't work then we will die and we're gonna have to put blood all over us" Alleigh said.

"We have to try it. It might be the only way" I said.

"I have an idea on how we can get one of the Walkers up here. We can use the rope to get it around a Walker then we just need to pull the Walker up here" I said.

I picked up the rope and showed her.

"Ok. Let's try it" Alleigh said while wiping sweat off her forehead.

I made a knot that will close up when it is stretched. I held onto one side of the rope and threw the other over the side of the roof.

"See that one! It's coming straight for the rope" Alleigh said pointing to a Walker.

The Walker got trapped in the rope. I pulled on the rope and it became tighter. Alleigh and I pulled the rope as hard as we could and got the Walker up onto the roof. I picked up my hatchet and got ready to swing.

"You might want to close your eyes" I said.